By Is McDonald's Hiring? - 23/04/2019 12:00

Today, I was sternly told that if I didn't pass more students, I would be out of a job. I then went to my class to collect papers, and was stymied by how I could be giving passing grades to the 12 of 24 who didn't turn anything in. College students. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 484
You deserved it 176

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sady_Ct 37

This is exactly why there is an education quality problem worldwide. Institutions are more worried about passing numbers than the quality of those being passed. FYL OP, as an educator, you deserve better students and more faculty support.

Document, Document, Document. Notes in your gradebook to the effect of "Assignment submitted 3 days late, -10% per day late" or "Assignment not submitted". It won't make the administration happy, but it will provide evidence for your wrongful termination suit that the failure to pass students isn't due to your actions.

Comments

Sady_Ct 37

This is exactly why there is an education quality problem worldwide. Institutions are more worried about passing numbers than the quality of those being passed. FYL OP, as an educator, you deserve better students and more faculty support.

bloopaloop 27

I bet your students are voting for Bernie.

No, they probably voted for a president that gets to continue to be president despite the MANY reasons he shouldn't be. Legally and morally. He is the role model for not taking responsibility for your actions after all.

You smack each kid across the face in turn, then yell "Hey! Turn in your coursework, you ******* piss-ant!"

Hand out D’s to those who deserve F’s and look for a position at an institution with academic integrity.

Document, Document, Document. Notes in your gradebook to the effect of "Assignment submitted 3 days late, -10% per day late" or "Assignment not submitted". It won't make the administration happy, but it will provide evidence for your wrongful termination suit that the failure to pass students isn't due to your actions.

Wouldn't you be able to fight such a firing legally? I mean you can't whip students into submission to make them get more motivated or better.

This is weird, as a teacher myself, whenever I'm confronted by something like this from a superior, they're usually just uninformed about my class statistics, like how many assignments get handed in, who shows for tests etc. Couldn't you do the same? Or do I have to assume that this isn't a colleague or superior that mentioned this, but an entitled mother or father of the child you're teaching?

This is what's wrong with today's society, and why so many idiots are big CEOs making the big bucks when they don't know anything. How many people have posted on this very site saying they had to solve a problem for the big boss who makes four times what they do because they didn't know how to do it? Way too many to count. That school shouldn't be forcing you to pass students that don't deserve it. An employer wouldn't accept an unfinished assignment, so a teacher shouldn't, either. School and college is meant to prepare students for the real world, and letting them pass by doing nothing is doing the opposite. But then again, maybe they need that swift kick in the butt of reality to wake them up.