By Anonymous - 26/04/2013 09:17

Today, I proposed to my girlfriend in public. She happily said yes, and the surrounding crowd cheered for us. About 10 minutes later, after the excitement died down, she leaned over and quietly said, "Actually, I don't want to marry you. I only said yes so I wouldn't disappoint the crowd." FML
I agree, your life sucks 80 467
You deserved it 12 170

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I feel for you OP, but at least she had the courtesy to not humiliate you in front of dozens of people.

Wizardo 33

Seems like she's busy pleasing everyone else but you, that's brutal man.

Comments

Anai08 17

Yeah, that is my number one nightmare scenario when it comes to relationships. Being proposed to in a public place but not being ready to marry that person that is. I honestly feel like, despite it not being as 'romantic' or whatever, things like proposals should never be a surprise. You and your partner should have has long, thorough conversations about the future of your relationship before this happens. That way, you are absolutely sure this is what your partner wants before you do it in public. Or, if you are really set on surprising your significant other, do it in private man!

That's why public proposals aren't the best unless you are sure of the answer, you should have made sure she was ready!

perdix 29

It's your fault for putting her on the spot in public. It's emotional extortion. You probably knew that she'd say no in private, so you chose to get the favorable reply by applying the pressure of thousand of prying eyes. You suck.

Emotional extortion? Where do you come up with these ingenious lines?

from his Situationally Suitable Sentence Synthesizer of course!

RedPillSucks 31

Popping the question in public should be treated the same way as a lawyer questioning a witness.... Never ask a question you don't already know the answer to. YDI for popping the question when she obviously wasn't ready.

titibug823 11

Well how was he supposed to know she wasnt? Obviously he thought she felt the same way. That was a bitch move for her to pull.

It's this thing called communication, something which a couple should have before even thinking about marriage.

Women usually drop hints when they are ready, and they should have discussed things like where they wanted to be in 5 years, and what they want out of life.

Well, that's what happens when you propose in public. Besides, would you rather she turned you down in front of a whole crowd of people?

Would you rather she embarass you in front of the whole crowd? That's exactly what you're supposed to do if you get proposed to in public

Inciter 33

I don't agree. Someone shouldn't have to say yes just because it's in public. If they hadn't had the marriage discussion, then I think there was no point in proposing. Make sure she's on board before you plan out a public proposal.

Shouldn't have to, no, but I can understand that she didn't want to get that mob against her. But yeah, you should always discuss marriage before a proposal, the girl needs time to think thing through too. It's a big decision.

The public proposal pressures the person to say "Yes" because of the crowd watching. If she says "no" then she's a bitch and a few choice words will most likely be thrown at her. At least she told you her true feelings right after the proposal and not like a year later. Now THAT is a set up for a quality FML.

Pstraka6 20

Hey, talk to her about it later and have her explain. Maybe she would like to but is not ready for it just yet!

Keep your proposals private, why the need to share it with people you don't know?