By Anonymous - 26/04/2013 09:17

Today, I proposed to my girlfriend in public. She happily said yes, and the surrounding crowd cheered for us. About 10 minutes later, after the excitement died down, she leaned over and quietly said, "Actually, I don't want to marry you. I only said yes so I wouldn't disappoint the crowd." FML
I agree, your life sucks 80 467
You deserved it 12 170

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I feel for you OP, but at least she had the courtesy to not humiliate you in front of dozens of people.

Wizardo 33

Seems like she's busy pleasing everyone else but you, that's brutal man.

Comments

dr_snow_bear 29

I don't think Mr.Humphries is free.

That does suck, but tbh I can't understand people who propose in public. It puts undue pressure on the person being proposed to, especially if they're not ready for that level of commitment. They feel like they have to say yes so as not to look heartless. So whilst I feel for you, you do kinda deserve it.

For those saying OPs girlfriend is a bitch, how is that? Would it have been better to lie? She explained straight away afterwards. If anything she is less of a bitch for not humiliating the op by saying no in front of a large crowd. The pressure for girls to get married is pretty high, even more so if you ask in front of a load of people - the proposal is about two people, not a crowd.

Yeah... That's why you don't propose in crowds. Had she said no, the crowd would have been ruthless to her. I think it's ridiculous to expect a girl to make such a life-changing decision without giving her the time to actually think things through, marriage is a big step and awfully hard to back out off. Yes, it's romantic and all, but I like time to reflect over things that could vastly change my life.

At least she did you a solid. That's why you never propose in public.

In a robin voice, "Holy rusted metal batman!!!"

You shouldn't do a public proposal unless you're 100% sure she'll say yes. Would you have preferred that she denied you in front of all those people and embarrassed you?

Sorry bro. Hey i hope you kept your receipt for the ring tho.

jem970 19

I'm sorry she lied to you OP. That was not the way to handle it. A GOOD person wouldn't lie about a life changing event, even if she got a little hate from a watching crowd. I hope this doesn't scar you to bad.

Rubbish, a good person wouldn't humiliate someone in public. A sensible person would be caring enough not to ask something so important in public where the recipient was pressured into a good response. Anybody who does this needs to look closely at themselves to check that they aren't doing this to apply more pressure to get the desired response, it's basically coercion.

wowsaint 4

Read her mind and heart before going into public (or any) proposal. Better do your home work before next time.