By Anonymous - 26/04/2013 09:17

Today, I proposed to my girlfriend in public. She happily said yes, and the surrounding crowd cheered for us. About 10 minutes later, after the excitement died down, she leaned over and quietly said, "Actually, I don't want to marry you. I only said yes so I wouldn't disappoint the crowd." FML
I agree, your life sucks 80 467
You deserved it 12 170

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I feel for you OP, but at least she had the courtesy to not humiliate you in front of dozens of people.

Wizardo 33

Seems like she's busy pleasing everyone else but you, that's brutal man.

Comments

This girl is great. Saved your ass from loads of embarrassment.

Wealthyparrot 9

Sorry that she didn't want to marry you, but you had it coming This is exactly what's wrong with public marriage proposals: it forces the answer yes. It doesn't matter what they actually would have responded, they will be labeled a terrible heartless person if they don't accept your proposal in public. Even if I would otherwise marry someone, a public marriage proposal would change my mind. That aside, the answer one gives in public doesn't necessarily reflect their true feelings, which means you have to deal with the suspense of wondering if they really meant it until the next time you're alone together.

Yeeeeeeah no. Totally your fault, dude. Public proposals are awful. If she says no, dozens of random strangers think she's a bitch and ruined the moment. She says yes, obviously you are both so in love and everything is magical. I mean, seriously? Would you want to be put in a situation where saying "no" means everyone thinks you're a dick? It's called peer pressure and it's creepy.

At least she let you know afterwards. Excuse my ignorance, but why would she say "no", yet continue to date you? Is it just that she wasn't ready for engagement, or was she keeping you around for favors?

Well it's sort of not fair proposing to her in front of a crowd of people. That's pushing her to say yes, otherwise people will think poorly of her, when she just might not be ready.

Public proposals are basically a trap. If a person says no, they will be seen as a bitch.

At least she was trying not to embarrass you

dragoongirl90 34
RammerJammer62 8

"Good! Because I only asked you to please the crowd"