By Anonymous - 03/09/2012 08:47 - United States - Evansville

Today, I met my husband's family for the first time. My nightmare versions were better. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 798
You deserved it 2 924

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your husband has made your dreams come true... in a manner of speaking.

LiterOfCola 16

Comments

LiterOfCola 16
Blackmail111 9

Maybe they're just the type of people who come off as intimidating at first! There's always hope that they could turn out to be perfectly nice people.

Anybody here ever read H.P. Lovecraft's "The Dunwich Horror"? Because this FML made me picture the family from that story.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

You always should meet the parents first. If your spouse doesn't want you to meet their parents they are hiding something. (maybe just an embarrassingly horrible family) Personally, I wish I had never met my In-laws, but doing so gives me more insight into my husbands personality.

Generally you do meet the parents before you get married. It's weird not too. You marry the family too

You should try working out your problems not burying them 39. Family should be more important than that.

Maybe they met and married in another country. I don't think my dad's parents met my mom and her family until a few days before the wedding. Yes, that's before the wedding and not after, but it could also be that the husband and his family weren't particularly close, or that they aren't very nice to him, either, so he put off introducing his wife to them until it was unavoidable.

43 there are some things that just can't be fixed. I had to cut my parents and siblings out of my life because of how they treated me. There was no fixing it despite years of me trying. I'm better off now without them. I still talk to my extended family, and when I have to see my parents at a wedding I keep it polite, but otherwise there's not contact and it's better that way. I still have nightmares from what they did to me, and I hope my boyfriend never has to meet them.

That's y u meet the parents before u jump the broom... Duh!

strokedturbogsxr 3

There could be numerous reasons why she hasn't met them. I've been married for about a year and my wife hasn't met any of my family, but I'm also in the military getting deployed alot and it's not that easy to just take off and travel across the states whenever I want

53, I'm glad you'd husband is so understanding, and is on your side. I've seen similar situations pan out much worse... When a spouse lets their family ties divide them from their wedded lover, even when they don't agree with them. Such as by refusing to acknowledge terrible in laws.

39, you remind me of my uncles bitch girlfriend. She tried to get him to cut alll of his family out of his life because we were mad at her for cheating. And they ended up not inviting any of us to his wedding. They're now divorced. Maybe in the future you be too. Since family's obviously not important to you.

Everyone is assuming she meant parents when all the post said is 'family.'

94- there's a difference between your stories unless your family tormented her like the other commenter's family did. She SHOULD feel horrible about cheating and she wasn't justified in cutting you off since she was at fault. If you did nothing and your family tormented you then you should either go see a family counselor or simply cut them off. It would be the best for your own well being. My friends mom is a huge gambler and lost all the money for rent, bills, etc while gambling. My friend and her mentally ill brother had to basically scrape the piggy bank for food. They cut her off an moved as soon as they could. I see that as a good reason to cut a family member off. You don't have to hate the person but there's just times where you can't do anything to make it better anymore.

Your husband has made your dreams come true... in a manner of speaking.

Can't be as bad as in nightmares. Idk about you guys, but most of my nightmares are either way too strange to seem feasible or unrealistic entirely. Like that time I fell up...

Maybe that's why she liked the nightmares better. They were too strange to be feasible, or, more likely, she can wake up from a nightmare.

LiterOfCola 16

Ugh.. too strange to seem feasible and unrealistic are synonymous

What's the difference between in laws and out laws? Outlaws are wanted! ;D

chowE_fml 4

Although I do love reading shorter FMLs, this is the kind of FML that needs details

I can't believe it took you so long to meet the Outlaws!!! If you'd have met them sooner you could have got out of the relationship quick smart!!

To me it sound like OP wants to get as far away from there as possible. Don't make friends. Just get out and avoid them at all costs. If they're that bad it isn't worth the time and effort.

carnage1108 0

I doubt they strangled you with piano wire. Gotta look at the positives.

I think she'd rather be strangled by piano wire.

would piano wire not just slice your neck open, rather than strangling you?

hopsinlove17 26

That was on criminal minds tonightO.o

Well if it's the first time you've met them and your married, I hope you live far enough away to not have to deal with them too often.

Driblets 8

That Is funny you say that because my grandparents (or my mom's in laws) live right next store to us and it drives us CRAZY! Everything they do for us they expect us to do back for them double and will talk behind our backs if we do it wrong or if we are too busy to do it. It then gets the entire family involved. It sucks.

elletex 8

Uh. I think you mean "next door".

Driblets 8

Yep that would definitely make more sense wouldn't it :p? Thank you for the correction.

MadeUpEverything 2

Look at the bright side. If the first time you're meeting them is after the wedding then your husband must not see them often meaning you won't either.

Your husband's parents? They must be pretty bad if he didn't even invite them to the wedding. (considering whether there was one, I guess)

Court house wedding? No one needs to be there.

Actually you do need people there. You have to have 2 witnesses.

Pretty_Pink_Lady 10

Maybe their wedding was like The Hangover and the witness was a dancing homeless dude.

^wasn't that "I now pronounce you chuck and Larry?"

38- I got married at a courthouse and you do need two witnesses but anyone there could do it, so you don't really need anyone.

Nope just the holidays, birthdays, baby showers, funerals, graduations and every other possible family event... But other then that not that much:)

65- If they weren't even at the wedding, I doubt they'll be around that much.

one11oh 2

at least you're still alive :)

AClassActx3 7

Wait, you met them after you were married??? Thats odd. Sorry though OP