By Labelme - 02/01/2010 08:26 - United States

Today, I learned that instead of discarding expired products at my work, we change the label to make them 'expire' later. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 195
You deserved it 2 989

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ewww! That sounds like that's illegal to do...

I say report them to whatever trading standards board you have in the US. That's illegal and if someone gets ill eating their food, they'll be able to sue. Big time.

Comments

iknowwhatyoudid 0

that's utterly disgusting and illegal I believe-not sure, any who it's 'ew' and wrong

It may not be at a restaurant. it could be at an office where they share a fridge.

I thought of an office when I first read it

thighsofglory 0
dun_dun_dun 0

Yea, I thought it was an office from the first portion of her sentence.

perdix 29

It's more like an F (Your customers') L than an FML, unless you're the one that has to clean up the projectile vomit or explosive diarrhea that results from eating rotten, tainted food. Luckily for you, food poisoning usually doesn't set in for at least a few hours after consuming spoiled food, so the people you poisoned will likely be far away when they blow chunks and/or get the Hershey squirts. FYL when you have to testify against your boss.

This surprised you why? Honestly, it happens more than people probably think it does. Of course, this provides you with two options, the first of which is to drop the bomb (if you're a "nice gal"), the second being that it also makes for a good trump card... so long as you have proof of the act (in either case), that is.

ensemble_coeur 0

I would quit, and then report them to the health inspector.

If these items at your workplace are for human consumption, you should contact the Board of Health in your city/town or, if they are unwilling to do anything, the local newspaper, media outlet. If you have a lawyer in your family or as a friend, ask him what the whistleblower laws are in your state. You may lose your job if you file a formal complaint that they deny. Personally, I would not work for a place that does this, but in this economy a job is like gold. It sounds like you may work at a supermarket which means the people that could be afflicted by the post-dated food items include toddlers and children. It is highly disturbing that your company allows this to happen. Being responsible because someone fell ill/died due to your actions or inaction is unacceptable. If you blow the whistle and they fire you because of it, you can usually sue your ex-employer. I would first document who told you to do this, when, the exact dates/times and if management knew or suspected. Take pictures with your cell phone if you can, too. Then, armed with your visual evidence, follow your attorney's advice. Definitely gather evidence prior to filing a complaint. Another thing, you can also do it cc.: (copy) upper level management who may not know of these practices.

Agree with demonkey, 100%. I know you need the work, and its a terrible job market, but you really should report this. Yeah, this happens all over, but that doesn't make it right for somebody to have to get sick because your company is cheap and everybody was scared to speak up. Is there any hope of you getting a job elsewhere?

A lot of fast food places do this. Burger places will keep prep table things out a lot longer than standards say to, but honestly there's nothing wrong with them. Particularly baked pies--let me tell you, we eat pies that have been "wasted" all the time--there's nothing wrong with them, and honestly it's just wasted food. Not to mention, you honestly think that everything goes right to where it's supposed to be? I pyrometered some creamer that had been left out and it was above temp, but my manager said to use it as long as it goes right into the fridge. I made her do it so I wasn't responsible... But this shit happens--if it's a fast food restaurant, don't worry about it--they will use it before it's actually bad, most restaurant holding times are a lot more strict than state statutes.