By Cantswim - 20/05/2009 15:45 - United States

Today, I had to go take swimming lessons because my mom has a fear I'll drown and I'm totally afraid of swimming anyway and never get anywhere near water. My instructor? A high school classmate of mine. My fellow swimming classmates? 5 and 6 year old kids. FML
I agree, your life sucks 56 567
You deserved it 9 973

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You're in high school and you write like a 4th grader. I think your mom should spend that swimming money on a tutor instead.

you could have said "swimming" a few more times you know

Comments

thinkpink 0

#4: Ever heard of the deep end????? As in, most pools have one. #69: What the hell does the OP's name have to do with if the story is true or not? This story EASILY sounds like it could be true, and she logically put her name as cantswim. A lot of people make a funny screen name to go with their story.

funnyyy 0

#17: You fail. IQ is determined by taking the average number of questions anwsered correctly by people of the same age and dividing it by yours and then multiplying it by 100.

walk_in_memphis 0

awww i'm sorry. i had this happen to me, sorta. i was 15 and took a dance class...i was a beginner so i was with 7-year-olds. maybe get private lessons?

I learned to swim on my own. But don't feel bad about not knowing how to swim, this girl in my biology class can't ride a bike, and shes 17.

sublime93 0

The above commenters are such assholes We get it, its written horriblyy get over it & move on

texxxasissouth 0

How did you not figure out how to swim? Have you never watched someone swim before? It's not that hard to figure out on your own.... YDI

Omg, he wrote Swimming three times! Call the grammar police! Please, this is FML, not an online class for an english major. Dude, I feel for you. But you really should learn how to swim. But man, the embarrassment! D:

Cantabguy 0

I find it really hard to understand that so many people here haven't learned how to swim as a child. I learned how to swim before I learned how to walk, and although that is clearly non-typical I can't believe people can leave childhood without this basic skill. Obviously many people don't require it in their everyday life, but if you happen to end up in a large body of water in some accident it can save your life. Besides, swimming is natural and instinctual. Almost all mammals can swim, including humans, and the only reason people can't swim is because they panic. People naturally float, and the doggy paddle is slow but easy. Having said that, I can understand the humiliation of not knowing a childhood skill. I'm 20, and I cannot ride a bike. This isn't because I didn't learn when I was a child, it's because I can't balance well unless I'm on my own two feet as part of another condition. This is especially annoying as my university is famous for the widespread use of bicycles by the students, and even though I am physically incapable of riding a bike I have suffered some humiliation for it.

Time to get over your fear, and over your... I don't know... embarrassment of learning alongside people younger than you are. It's something you're going to have to get used to in life. Sorry, OP, but grow up.