By Cantswim - 20/05/2009 15:45 - United States

Today, I had to go take swimming lessons because my mom has a fear I'll drown and I'm totally afraid of swimming anyway and never get anywhere near water. My instructor? A high school classmate of mine. My fellow swimming classmates? 5 and 6 year old kids. FML
I agree, your life sucks 56 567
You deserved it 9 973

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You're in high school and you write like a 4th grader. I think your mom should spend that swimming money on a tutor instead.

you could have said "swimming" a few more times you know

Comments

jasmine1259 2

you guys are hypocrites. i bet you'd be embarrass too to be in high school and take a swimming class with little kids.

audreyelise 0

How come people have said your FML makes no sense? Are they illiterate? Lol. I feel for you, I as well do not know how to swim and I'm 18. You shouldn't be embarrassed, many people have a fear of water and don't know how to swim. Age plays no factor in it.

nonynony 0

It's embarrassing to have to learn things as an adult, but it shouldn't be. Just try to brush it off. I do agree with those wondering why your mother didn't worry about this when you were a kid, though. Swimming is a good survival skill, and a recreational one as well! You might never LOVE it, but hopefully you won't fear it any more.

alexgisforme3 0

i thought i was the only one who was afraid of water...im so sorry =(. i used to be able to swim quite well...dont know if i would now though. just laugh about being with the little kids and watch them be worse than you looool.

#43 and everybody else who says everybody should learn swimming as a child, it's not as simple as you think. I wish I could have learned when I was young. I'm in highschool now and I still don't know how to swim, and I've developed a fear of water from a near-drowning incident several years ago. But the reason I didn't learn how to swim as a child was because both my parents were working full-time (so they couldn't teach me themselves) and they didn't have the money to send me to classes. And now if I wanted to learn, I'd be in the same situation as the OP. Please don't be jackasses and tell people that they are OBLIGATED to know how to swim when they're young. Some of us don't have the opportunity.

I used to teach swimming lessons at the YMCA and there was a class specifically designed to teach swimming to adult beginners. YDI for not looking for/at other options more arduously.

#22 I would consider it somewhat ironic seeing as the song explicitly mentions drowning. So a little bit of both it seems. And #23, good song innit?

FYL. You don't know how to use correct grammar. This is what your mom's thinking: My son is in high school and he doesn't know how to type using correct grammar. FML

BatgirlZKE 5

I never learned how to swim because I panic when my head goes under water. I was forced to take swimming lessons but didn't get very far because I refused to go under water. I can go in water up to 5 ft but once it starts hitting my chin, I get nervous. There's no reason to be embarrassed that you can't swim. For some reason, people make fun of me for it but I guess they are just assholes.

thegoodlifeNOT 0

bahahah better late than never!