By Mike - 17/12/2009 16:38 - United States

Today, I got in an elevator at a hotel. Just as the door was closing, somebody banged into the door and stuck their hand through. I yelled, "What, are you retarded?!" The doors then opened to reveal a mentally handicapped boy with his parents standing behind him. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 111
You deserved it 54 699

Same thing different taste

Top comments

jgrl180 0

that's pretty much rude whether or not the person's retarded.

Comments

Hahahaha this is awesome because it wasn't me.

tash14 1

I hope you learned something from this situation. Too many people use the word "retarded" like it's no big deal. It's offensive.

**** that, people can say anything they want, and if people get offended by it, them **** them too. It is NOT a big deal. Freedom of speech > political correctness.

nonynony 0

Idiotic people in this country seem really confused by the concept of "free speech." "Freedom of speech" means freedom to speak an opposing viewpoint without fear of being executed by the government, etc. It does NOT mean the freedom to say whatever you wish with absolutely no moral or social consequences. Yes, you may speak your mind, but other people still have the freedom to think you're a horrible person. Get a clue. I'm so tired of people saying "free speech!" as if it's some kind of pass to be a total dick and no one can call you out on it.

I summed up my views really quickly because I didn't want to spend a long time commenting...let me reiterate. What I meant is people shouldn't be too sensitive about subjects like this. I use the words "fag" and "retard" all the time, among others (I also have autistic friends and I'm a strong supporter of gay rights). I'm a bit sorry if that offends people, but not enough to make me regret saying it. I don't think it's a big deal because it is a WORD. I really don't get offended easily, I get insulted both seriously and jokingly on a daily basis; I rarely ever get offended. People in today's society commonly uses words like "retard," but they're not meaning offense towards mentally handicapped people, it's just become synonymous with "stupid." I don't blame individuals for using the word, and frankly, I think people who get really truly offended by it are overreacting. I'm also aware of what freedom of speech means, and I know what I say has consequences; thanks for the vocabulary lesson. I'm the kind of person who really doesn't take things like this that seriously, and if that makes some horrible person, whatever. Some people on the Internet now think I'm a stupid dick, how will I sleep at night? I guess I'll try closing my eyes and see how that works.

#57, The whole "it's just a word" thing is BS. We all know that words can hurt if they're the right ones, so leave it. That said, I don't really use the word "retarded" that much, but I do call stuff "gay," but only around people I know and only if I know they won't be offended. I know I don't mean it as an insult to gay people, but I recognize that people might disagree with me, and I try to respect that as I have no interest in going around hurting people's feelings, however unintentional it might be on my part. You say people shouldn't be too offended by stuff like this, but the people who are being made fun of certainly do. My issue with the OP is not that he called the guy "retarded," although that was mean (see above re: not using possibly offensive words around strangers), but that he was rude for absolutely no reason and yelled at a complete stranger for trying to catch an elevator! WTF? Who does that? But again, about the words thing, words can be painful and we shouldn't have to unnecessarily censor ourselves, but it wouldn't hurt us to be sensitive to the feelings of others from time to time. That's not about being PC; it's about being a freaking human being.

#58, you fail so hard. > "You have the right to be an asshole just like I have the right to think you're stupid." Way to COMPLETELY agree with the person with whom you were arguing. If you'll kindly learn to read, you'll notice that korpik never implied a lack of consequence, so.. you really just proved his point. #67, I'll reply to you more kindly since you're actually using things like a brain, and reason. But I still disagree. A word itself should never offend someone; only the spirit in which it was used. No one in their right mind would be offended by a doctor using the term "mentally challenged" to matter-of-factly describe someone's mental status, but would someone equally be unoffended by a schoolyard bully using the term "mentally challenged" to berate and make fun of other children? What if those children were actually retarded? Still no offense? The rate of how fast and widely the terms for a "retarded" person are changing and being used make it a difficult example, but it is a situation analogous to some more clear-cut examples: - Using "Welfare" to describe the actual system is inoffensive, but it can also be used in a derogatory way to describe something cheap, poorly made, or thrown together/hastily built. - The term "nerd" can be used in either a very positive or a very negative way easily.

Given that in the context OP have given i don't believe that he like most people, knew that an elevator reopens if the bar inside of the door is triggered. So i cant hold yelling at someone sticking their hand in their against him. But as someone with a handicapped brother, we both know that words like that should not be used alot given that people do get iffended but to everyone that is puttin him down, Context people.

schwinn11 0

In today's world you need to be politically correct! When someone does something retarded, you yell "hey you mentally challenged dick head, what the **** are you doing".

^ This comment totally wins the race.

don't use retarded in an offensive mannor..

I hate rude people who do stupid things then insist on slowing you down so they can get in your way and yes it's not PC but he was a retard at least you did'nt call him gay .

even if it wasn't a retard, you still should'nt have said that YDI

giosthename 0