By unwed - 11/12/2010 06:56 - United States

Today, I found out that my fiancé is going to be deployed on our wedding day. FML
I agree, your life sucks 64 483
You deserved it 4 406

Same thing different taste

Top comments

bogwandis 0

The most she could do is see if her fiance could deploy at a later time. While not likely, the military isn't completely heartless when it comes to these things. Besides, there is no way either of them could've known during the wedding planning that he would be deployed that day. Don't you guys think they would've changed the date if they knew this earlier? If her fiance can't work something out, then she is out of luck. Depending on how close it is to the wedding, it's really difficult to find a day where everyone and everything would work out like you wanted. OP, I"m sorry that this is happening to you. I'm a military wife as well, and I couldn't imagine how frustrating and heartbreaking this is. Let the disrespectful comments begin :)

Comments

goombalaya 1

FYL, being Air Force, I hope this doesn't happen to me when I finally decide to settle down with that special girl.

NMX944 0

Welcome to being married to the military, expect it to continue coming first. My husband is deployed and going to miss our formal wedding as well!

dunkon76 0

that's a good thing. new marriages before deployment always turn into new divorces during deployment.

Stophel 0

He serves because he loves you, every day while he's in theater he will have you on his mind. Just try to stay strong. My ex fiance never did while I was overseas.

OP didn't give much background on how much notice time (approximate, we're not spies), how involved the wedding plans are or were expected to be, and so forth. Her fiancé is a good person for serving in the military at a time of war and when, unemployment rates aside, those serving in our military have easier options they could take (about 1/4 of the prime enlistment-age population would not qualify to join up). Though many of us wish some things had been done differently or not done at all -- I supported both wars, but wish Iraqi and Afghan Christians were not now being threatened -- tens of millions of people are free who were sorely oppressed a few years ago, and most of that has been paid for with American blood. Are you the OP cut out to be the sort of supportive, sometimes self-sufficient, sometimes cooperative person it takes to be a good military spouse? Or are you very dependent? If you can't be what he needs, leave so he can find someone better. But if you can, man up and be the anchor he needs however far he roams, and let you rescheduled wedding day be a celebration of all that you hope comes after.

Amen. Couldn't have put it better myself. I'm terribly sorry about the OP's predicament. I don't know much about military, but it sounds like your fiance doesn't have a choice. If he does, then don't blame him if he chooses to postpone or change your wedding date so he can serve his country. He's only doing what he believes to be right. Either way, I hope you two can work this out. Good luck.

aaaaawwwwweee:( that does suck FYL I hope you can reschedule before he deploys

Wrissapunk2020 5

I'm truly sorry about that. I myself am only 15 and my boyfriend is 18 and he would like to join the military. I don't know if it is because i'm young but the thought is scary.