By JustRidingMyBike - 04/01/2017 17:11

Today, I started my new job as a supervisor. I began by cleaning out my new office, including recycling large sheets of cardboard left over from the new calendars. When the 2nd shift came in, however, they got very upset and yelled at me. Apparently, I had thrown away my Muslim workers' prayer mats. FML
I agree, your life sucks 8 386
You deserved it 1 918

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your comment makes it sound like people should come to the job and just work and not read a book, eat, chat...etc. All these can be done during the break time which is probably when the muslim workers are performing their prayers. Nothing wrong with that.

PeterB444 17

wow that really sucks but it was an honest mistake imo. How would you have known? Good luck and look at it as an opportunity to make a new friend! Maybe buy him some new ones as an apology and go from there?

Comments

AutumnMarie3639 18

No bueno! Sorry OP! I hope they understood.

:( That's terrible, but I'm sure they'll understand that it was an accident OP.

PeterB444 17

wow that really sucks but it was an honest mistake imo. How would you have known? Good luck and look at it as an opportunity to make a new friend! Maybe buy him some new ones as an apology and go from there?

Yikes, that really sucks. How many mats did you throw away? Allah mats or just a few?

To me it seems more haram to pray on said pieces of cardboard than to throw them out.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Your comment makes it sound like people should come to the job and just work and not read a book, eat, chat...etc. All these can be done during the break time which is probably when the muslim workers are performing their prayers. Nothing wrong with that.

NotchaHue 8

devout Muslims pray 5 times a day and at very specific times, which include during the work day. Obviously it's not a problem with the employers if the man says his daily prayers/recitals

There are businesses- including hospitals- that exercise their "religious rights" through being discriminatory and refusing to serve people, including in situations that can and have cost the person their life. So, if some asshole is allowed to exercise "religious freedom" by letting a person die because they think anyone who doesn't live like they do is less human, then people of religions that requires prayer throughout the day should damn well be allowed to pray at those times of day.

demonpuppeh 10

It's against the law to refuse medical care to ANYONE. Please learn your rights and the laws of the subject before spouting INCREDIBLY ignorant bullshit.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Hmm…first of all, I can't see a location on the FML, so it's hard to be sure this happened in the west. Second, not all countries in the west are secular. Third, if the employee is praying during break time, how can that possibly affect anyone else?

Could even be in the UK. I believe religious people have special rights in the workplace. Granted, I've never heard of Muslim workers getting time off to pray. But, I do know of several Christian's who don't work on the Sabbath in jobs that would usually require them to work it. So that doesn't mean it's not the case for Muslim prayer.

Oh they do and they are still on the clock. They are getting paid while they are praying. They do not clock out before pray. Which is abusing the system and most do that in the West.

I see no issue with them not clocking out to pray. I've watched a muslim prayer before, it doesn't take that long.

<p>Why not? Except for misunderstandings like this, what difference does it make? Forcing people not to practice their religion (if it doesn't hurt anyone) is just as bad as forcing people to practice a religion when they don't want to.&nbsp;</p>

Cardboard sheets used as prayer mats? :/