By llord - 24/08/2011 02:29 - United States

Today, I found out that my engagement ring was actually my husband's ex-fiancée's. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 634
You deserved it 3 943

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Tbh I dont see a problem. Clearly that ring was quite expensive so there was no point losing all that cash just to go buy another expensive ring. Plus he must really like it to give it to you and actually marry you.

Pretty_Pink_Lady 10

Comments

joa76 3

Okay, some of you seem to be completely missing the point. The thing is, an engagement ring is basically a gift. Yeah, it's a traditional symbol of intended commitment and all, but it's also something that you give to someone to show how much you care about them. I don't care how much the ring costs, whether it's $80 or $8,000 (well, actually, I think spending thousands of dollars on a useless piece of metal is sort of stupid, but to each their own), but it shouldn't be something that was bought with someone else in mind, unless there's meaning to that also. Like, I would love to get an heirloom ring, from my fiance's mother or grandmother or whatever, and I'm sure people who like more vintage style jewelry would in no way object to an old, pre-owned ring. But to buy an engagement ring for someone, break up with them, then give the ring to someone else is tacky. Think about it...if you bought you girlfriend a box set of DVDs of her favorite TV show for Christmas, and she broke up with you before you could give it to her, would you hang on to it and give it to a future girlfriend, or would you take it back and get your next girlfriend her own present that you picked out specifically for her? (And okay, so there's no guarantee that the girls would have the same favorite show, but he probably was thinking of the initial girl's taste when buying the ring, and there's no guarantee they'd have the same taste in jewelry either.) And worse, since she said ex-fiancee, they actually WERE engaged, so it's more like demanding the DVDs back after you break up and, since you can't return opened DVDs, deciding they make a good present for your next girlfriend. Incredibly tacky.

Why should he pay a month's salary to make you happy, when he has a ring already? Would you guys call him "cheapass" if he gave her his mother's treasured jewelry? No.

dcrider 0

Well I'm glad ur in it for money cuz that's all a stupid ring says...

lebronsucks 3

Cheap and smart. The world asked us to recycle right?

litbit12 0

I would be pissed off he better have some pretty nice gifts to say sorry