By llord - 24/08/2011 02:29 - United States

Today, I found out that my engagement ring was actually my husband's ex-fiancée's. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 634
You deserved it 3 943

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Tbh I dont see a problem. Clearly that ring was quite expensive so there was no point losing all that cash just to go buy another expensive ring. Plus he must really like it to give it to you and actually marry you.

Pretty_Pink_Lady 10

Comments

tmmundy 17

I can see it both ways. but, really, it's just a ring. on the other hand, she will have to look at the ring every day and be reminded of the other girl before her. sucks to be her.

Well he can't go buying another ring that cos some thousand euro so be grateful you even got a ring!

Well he can't go buying another ring that cos some thousand euro so be grateful you even got a ring!

mrst34 0

Rather than looking at it in a negative way u should look at it positively, if anything its obvious his ex wasn't worthy of it and u r, so appreciate and love him for who he is and realize that he loves u and wants to give u this ring that shows he's in love with u and wants to be with u and not his ex or else he never would have taken it back and she would be the one with him. U mean more to him than the ex will ever mean to him!!

rhoadshouse 0

Grow up, at least he cared enough to give you a ring.... You sound like a spoiled brat

stacianichole 2

So should I not wear the wedding dress that my mother handmade because the guy I was engaged to turned out to not be the one and I never wore it? His mistake is telling you. If you never knew, I'm sure you'd be pleased as pie.

ReynshineCutting 10

If my fiancé did that I would absolutely kill him and he'd spend a few days (or more) at his parents house. It's just a piece of metal, it's expensive, blah blah blah. That all doesn't matter. It's the emotion and sentiment behind the ring. He didn't spend the time and money on the ring for OP. He spent it on his ex. Yes he should have sold it for a fraction of what he paid for it and bought OP a new ring. Buying a ring with a specific woman in mind is part of the whole process. I've been called materialistic on here before, but I absolutely care about my ring. A CZ or $30 engagement ring is bullshit. A ring is a symbol of your love and commitment to last you a lifetime so it should be worthy of the job. My ring was $1700 and I love it to death. It's definitely worthy of a lifetime on my finger. If a girl doesn't care either way, good for her, but a ring is a big ******* deal to some of us since it's part of the whole wedding/marriage tradition and that does not make us shallow, stuck up, or materialistic.

Do you even know what "materialistic" means? Because I'm pretty sure being obsessed over a ring is the absolute definition of it. Who gives a crap who he was dating when he bought it? How do any of you know that he wouldn't pick out the exact same ring for you anyway? It's a pathetic statement about society when so many women are more concerned about a useless trinket on their finger than the person they're supposed to be spending the rest of their lives with.

ReynshineCutting 10

A $30 ring that anyone can buy anywhere isn't special. Engagement rings are supposed to be special. Not to mention a $30 ring isn't going to last forever. I wouldn't expect a guy to blow his savings on a ring, but making payments on one is totally reasonable. My fiance made payments on mine (which HE picked out) for a year. It has a lot of meaning because he had to work for it. He didn't just say "Oh you're not worth the money here's a cheap one. I still love you just the same." If a guy doesn't think it's worth spending a little money on a ring, he doesn't think you're worth it. Rings are a big deal. A $30 ring says "I love you but not enough to spend money on you". A $1500+ ring says "You are worth everything."

Horseshit. The act of *proposing* to you is what says you're worth everything, not whatever easily lost, easily replaced trinket is on your finger. I have a simple gold band that maybe cost $100 at the most and I couldn't be happier with it or him. You know why? Because I recognize that it's just a ring and it's not that ******* important, that's why. Not buying a $1500 ring may just say "I love you but I can't be irresponsible enough to put myself in that much debt, especially in this economy." Look, if a ring is that important to you, to each her own. But at some point, you have to own up to the fact that you ARE, by definition, materialistic.

joa76 3

In my opinion, a cheap ring says "I want to give you something to symbolize how much I care about you, but don't see the need to spend a shitload of money on something that isn't even useful," whereas a $1500 ring says "Sure we could've gotten a tv or a computer or a new couch, but I decided to waste my money on a shiny piece of metal instead so that everytime someone sees it, they'll know I can afford to blow that kind of money." Also, the engagement ring tradition is literally only about 100 years old, slightly less if I remember correctly, and entirely invented by diamond companies as quite possibly the most successful marketing campaign ever. How incredibly romantic.

Agreed 100%, joa76. I'd have actually been really pissed if mine had spent any more than he did. I'm terrified enough of losing it already and it would be damn easy to replace. And besides, I have HIM, which is the most important part!

DawnMarie11 0

I completely Agree. If the ring was from a gumball machine it wouldn't matter cause it is the thought that counts and the FEELINGS behind it. Those who say different are selfish......