By fox_at_heart - 30/09/2016 02:21 - United States - Philadelphia

Today, I found out my father has been saving money to help me buy my first car. In the same conversation, I found out my mother, unbeknownst to my dad, used nearly all of the money to bail my drunken, deadbeat uncle out of jail for the fourth time a month ago. He's now back in prison. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 898
You deserved it 777

Same thing different taste

Top comments

qteabutt 12

That's horrible, you should suggest your dad to put his savings somewhere your mom can't get ahold of, like maybe in your account. And have a word with your mom as well, though seeing as this is the 4th time I doubt she would change her views about her brother.

Sorry OP that really sucks, but all you can do is hope that now she won't make the same mistake again

Comments

andrmac 25

When family gets in the way of your children needs then it's time to cut the family member out of help. What's next college fund for lawyer fees? Their retirement fund for a car for him to wrap around a tree. There's helping family out and then there is throw money into a burning house that is just gonna be rubble in the end anyway.

neither is a house. or cloths. or not being in jail.

A car is actually pretty much a need in this day and age...

Wth would you waste money on bail. There's a reason the uncle is in there in the first place.

I'm not sure if you mean to, but it sounds like your saying OP spent the bail money on the Uncle. It was OP's mother that did so. As to why- some people are practically brain dead when it comes to family.

I hope your dad starts separating his income and bank accounts from your mother's. If she's stolen from the two of you once, she'll start doing it more often- if she hasn't already stolen from the two of you in the past and this is just the first time she was caught. To be honest, if she has a history of doing things like this, using combined income or stealing from the private income of the rest of the family to make bad decisions like this, I'd be considering filing for divorce and custody of the kid's in your father's shoes. Even if she doesn't have a history, I'd certainly cut off her access to as much of the family income as possible, especially personal income and saving accounts.

Can't you get bail money back though??

#23....Yes, bail/bond money is refundable; however, oftentimes court costs, & fines that are associated with the arrest are withheld & the person who the bond was posted by...is returned the remaining fund's, if any.

I sense a D-word in your moms future...

"Gee mom. I can see who's future you place more value in. Clearly someone with no record- a blank slate- is worth less than someone who the State needs to lock up for the safety of others. Thanks for verifying that for me. I'll go invite that serial rapist and murderer over to live with us now. You know the guy who goes's after women who look like (INSERT DESCRIPTION OF YOUR MOM.). I heard he's my brother." Say that all with a straight face. That should get your point across if nothing else will.

Natanaru 6

God damn, your dad sounds like a sweet man. Tell him to put his money I an account that she can't access since it's obvious she has money issues.