By fox_at_heart - 30/09/2016 02:21 - United States - Philadelphia

Today, I found out my father has been saving money to help me buy my first car. In the same conversation, I found out my mother, unbeknownst to my dad, used nearly all of the money to bail my drunken, deadbeat uncle out of jail for the fourth time a month ago. He's now back in prison. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 895
You deserved it 777

Same thing different taste

Top comments

qteabutt 12

That's horrible, you should suggest your dad to put his savings somewhere your mom can't get ahold of, like maybe in your account. And have a word with your mom as well, though seeing as this is the 4th time I doubt she would change her views about her brother.

Sorry OP that really sucks, but all you can do is hope that now she won't make the same mistake again

Comments

Sorry OP that really sucks, but all you can do is hope that now she won't make the same mistake again

OP's Mother: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me eight or more times, shame on me." If OP's mother has done this four times for her brother I bet she'll bail him out fifth or sixth time.

qteabutt 12

That's horrible, you should suggest your dad to put his savings somewhere your mom can't get ahold of, like maybe in your account. And have a word with your mom as well, though seeing as this is the 4th time I doubt she would change her views about her brother.

If he's is in prison, that implies he showed up in court, thus meeting the bail requirements. Your mom should have gotten the money she put up for bail back from the court. Maybe all is not lost on the car front...or there's a different reason they don't want to give you one.

Or he skipped out and got caught, or the mom actually paid a bond (which is not refunded). I don't think it would be an FML if the money was returned.

Except that she said "bail" and if he skipped out on the bail, he would've been picked up on a warrant and taken to jail, not prison. However, I was merely suggesting there might be more to the no car thing than that one event. I could be wrong and maybe the wrong terms were used, either way I can see how it'd be disappointing to be in OP's position.

He HAD been saving your money, but now instead of a car, you have family. You can now spend time with your uncle... and he's back in prison

Emypony2608 10

I don't know if it's such a good idea to spend time with someone who's been to prison repeatedly, no mattr what they did.

Shay_Shay97 23

Sounds like money worth spent right there. I'm probably gonna get down voted for that.

Hey, sometimes that horse you bet on that keeps losing eventually comes through. C'mon Lasty, daddy needs a new car.

as someone also saving for their first car, that sucks!!!!!! next time, you and your dad should maybe try finding a secure place away from your mom so she doesn't find it?

Bail money. You get it back. Did you know that?

The person I feel most badly for in this is your mom. She still loves her brother, even though he's an alcoholic and an emotional and financial drain. I know how hard that can be.

I wander the uncle is a brother of the mom.