By random person - 09/07/2013 17:51 - United States

Today, I finally got my laptop back after my friend broke it a few weeks ago. As I walked back into our place with my laptop in my bag, the same friend burst out and tackled me. My bag fell and slammed into the floor. Guess who has to pay for another repair. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 225
You deserved it 4 713

Same thing different taste

Top comments

expertsmilee 26

Them, whether with money or an extreme ass whoopin'

Comments

You may be able to repair your laptop. But your friendship? Not so much.

If the last time was on purpose, this time the friend should pay. That is really annoying, OP. Once, my mother decided to reboot my computer becase it was a little bit "laggy". I lost everything, including all my pictures of my recently dead puppy.

TheDrifter 23

You lost everything by restarting the computer? Damn. Try the save function?

No, I was away for two weeks and allowed my brother to play Minecraft on it. But my computer really isnt good for gaming, so I told my brother that if Minecraft lagged too much, he should just exit out. Well something went wrong and my mom thought the way to fix it would be to reboot it, which completely wiped the computer of everything except settings and like, Paint. Wouldn't mind, but again, my dog had recently died and my only pictures of him were on that computer.

This is why I do not let people--family, friends, strangers--us my computer. I know if they broke it then I would never forgive them.

I am at a loss of what to say here. Why were the pictures not stored on the harddrive? Were the pictures sitting in your RAM in an open program without saved copies? Save when you leave your workspace. Especially if you can't physically be at the computer for a week plus.

TheDrifter 23

I think she means reformatted or restored from the factory disc, not rebooted. In the explanation she says she lost everything but paint, and likely the factory crap. I feel your pain, computer illiterate relatives are banned from all hardware in my house except a tablet I keep on the coffee table for them.

Yeah lol "The pc isn't working let me pop in this disk that says Windows Restore and blindly click ok on everything."

I hope you mean a tablet full of paper. That kind of tablet, right?

42 - Weirder things have happened, especially where computers and the computer illiterate are concerned.

sometimes and for some unexplained reason it seems quite easier to computer iliterates to do that kind of stuff... stupidity has that kind of effet unfortunately...

^ I'm not even going to point out the irony of your post. Thanks guys. I don't know exactly what mother dearest did, but she used the word reboot. Luckily I found some pictured of my puppy soon in other places! Still - she's never going near technology of mine again!

Wow, you sure that's your friend, op? Also don't you have insurance for stuff like that in the US? Where I live people usually have a (translated literally) "liability insurance" which will cover for you if you break other people's stuff. (of course you'll have to pay higher monthy rates after that but at least the victim gets their money back)

TheDrifter 23

Is available, but people on this continent usually only keep it for businesses. They prefer to sue each other.

Some people who are more careful with their things might not buy it. My laptop for example has no insurance because I never let anyone touch it besides me and my computer programmer father and I never let it out of sight and a foot radius from me when I take it anywhere. My phone on the other hand has insurance against theft and accidental damage. My phone is often left charging somewhere in the house and often other people are motivated to mess with it, despite my annoyance at their handling it. My phone is small enough to be stolen easily compared to a laptop with a eighteen inch screen. Yes, insurance is good to have, but for people that are careful and with things that are easily to defend and keep track of it isn't as necessary.

Plus it helps that you make it well known how much you value your item, whether it be laptop or other prized device. My friends would never dare do anything with my laptop as they know that it is my baby, in the same way some people value beautiful cars.

Devorak2686 9

Your friend should be and if he is not then you should beat the shit out of them.

I always greet people by tackling them and breaking their valuables.

My, what a wit you have! I can really see the time and thought you put into your comment!

Now don't tease the poor thing, 24. I doubt they can comprehend sarcasm, and you don't want to make them look any stupider than they already do.

Sounds like your friend is immature. It is time to have a talk with them about what is appropriate. Tell them that they owe you for the TWO repairs, give them the bill, and if not then take them to small claims court. You also need to set ground rules. They should not tackle, push, or "glomp" you. Since you would not have damaged the computer unless they tackled you, then they are responsible for the damage. The same if they accidentally hit your car or broke valuables.