By Thanks a lot - 23/10/2015 01:27 - United States - Chestnut Hill

Today, I babysat for my neighbor's brat kid. The mom gave me $15 for 5 hours. I complained to my mom when I got home because last time I got $15/hour. Turns out my mom had told my neighbor that she thought they'd paid me too much last time. Thanks mom. Thanks. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 368
You deserved it 2 013

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well, don't complain to mother. Complain to neighbor. That is less than the average wage. Still tho your mother should keep to herself rather than saying that. It's almost saying your not worth that much.

MdMan2 23

$3 per hour? That's absurd. You should discuss that with your neighbor. Forget what your mother says.

Comments

fallen_dragonkin 12

just don't babysit for them again, it's really not worth losing 5 hours of precious free time for such pitiful money

Why do you need payed for something that you should be willing to do regardless. You should be thankful they even payed you/chose you to do it. They could have got somebody else. Don't be ungrateful

Why should someone be willing to waste their precious time to look after a child they have no connection with while their parents are away? OP has no obligation, she's doing a work and it's completely normal to expect proper payment.

LOL no. If I'm going to sacrifice some of my time to babysit someone else's kid, I'm not going to feel "grateful" that they didn't ask someone else. Especially if I wasn't paid, and even MORE especially if the kid's a brat.

Really? Yo, I love the kids I babysit. I'd do anything for them, but to give up hours when I might have other things to do because it's an honor? No. I'm glad they trust me, but are you so honored to have been hired that you work for free?

Um no sorry. This kid isn't family, it's the neighbours kid. OP is under NO obligation to babysit for her neighbours especially for free. If this were family perhaps, but even then she deserves something for her time. Your view on babysitting is warped. Day care works do exactly the same thing I suppose you think they deserve to feel thankful and volunteer their time to take care of strangers kids. Give your head a shake.

zach055 23

Even though this is casual employment, labor laws still apply. You could literally sue your neighbor and win, you would just have to pay tax on the money.

Your mom is an idiot and neighbor used that. Next time they need a babysitter tell them all you think of this, ask for normal price and maybe you can even get the missing part of this payment. Because if the kid is a brat, they will have problems finding anybody at all let alone for such price.

Tell your mum those wages are from the 1950's!

The neighbor should know better!! She knows the going rate for babysitters now is $15 OR MORE per hour, which is why she gave it to you the first time

15 or more? I get 12 max, and I'm very vocal about the fact that I feel overpaid.

Depends on your area. In my area the going rate for a single kid is about 9 bucks an hour depending on the age of the child and other factors.

PANDORUM89 21

I don't feel as if $75 for 5 hours of your personal time to watch a child that isn't yours so its parents could go enjoy themselves was too much pay. Your mother shouldn't be involved with you pricing and if you want to charge that much then do so. Next time discuss fees upfront and explain that you can not give up a third of your day for $15.

Hey, I pay my teenaged babysitter around $3/hr for my one child. Usually I also tip, but $3-5/hr seems pretty common to pay a babysitter where I live (to a teenager).

thay would work if they were a young teenager but not to an older teen or a young adult

nitrog100 21

And you're a cheapskate. You pay less than half the minimum wage and you think that's fair?

76 - She doesn't have to, that's not even a formal job.

78- just because it's not a formal job doesn't mean that it doesn't deserve decent pay. Not having to do something and is different from the idea that you shouldn't do it. I don't have to clean my room, I still should. Same general principal.

That's a ridiculous amount and not worth the hassle of taking care of your kid, $10 per houris better.

The wage is negotiated beforehand. She is welcome to ask for more, and I am welcome to find cheaper help than $15/hr. I don't force her to take the hours when they are available to her, she may take them or leave them. I know she gets paid $2.50/hr by another family. There is another sitter in my area who asks just $1.25/hr.

You shouldn't have told her how much you made.