By Thanks a lot - 23/10/2015 01:27 - United States - Chestnut Hill

Today, I babysat for my neighbor's brat kid. The mom gave me $15 for 5 hours. I complained to my mom when I got home because last time I got $15/hour. Turns out my mom had told my neighbor that she thought they'd paid me too much last time. Thanks mom. Thanks. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 368
You deserved it 2 013

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well, don't complain to mother. Complain to neighbor. That is less than the average wage. Still tho your mother should keep to herself rather than saying that. It's almost saying your not worth that much.

MdMan2 23

$3 per hour? That's absurd. You should discuss that with your neighbor. Forget what your mother says.

Comments

andrewn2468 4

I've had that same problem a lot of times

ionxcore 19

At least your getting paid sheesh. I mean you use their food, electronics, electricity, wifi ect. If it was me I'd say that was your payment right there!

Really? Do you know how much energy goes into babysitting? It's not just relaxing on Facebook and eating Doritos. You have to know exactly what the kid wants and needs, and how to keep them safe. There's a lot of responsibility to it.

And I don't use their electronics or wifi when I babysit. And very occasionally will I use food.

wow that sucks op. I also babysit and nothing makes me more mad than being paid below what was agreed upon. never do business with her again. ppl don't realize that babysittting can be very tough and forget that we are responsible for keeping the kids safe while they are enjoying their night out

thatonetribute 31

Those are both two extremes. I get $10/hour when I babysit multiples

You're babysitting, why do you expect to earn an adult wage? You're getting paid to sit on a couch and watch TV, and make sure the kid doesn't leave your sight. People who are saying you deserve minimum wage or higher are on crack. A kid's job deserves kid's pay, and $15 an hour is more than millions of adults across the country make.

Um...no. You're paid to feed the kid, to play with the kid, to make sure they don't get hurt, and to take care of them when they get hurt. If it's a baby, you have to change them, feed them (a long and difficult process that can take an hour or more) and make sure they don't swallow anything on top of the stuff mentioned before. You also might have to wipe a kid's butt for them, help them with homework, bathe them, or anything else the parents or kids want you to do.

If you're sitting on the couch watching tv then you're a shitty babysitter. I'm always actively engaged with the kids I watch.

babysitting is NOT easy. sometimes it can be a real challenge especially when the kids are scared of you and are crying for their parents for at least an hour. you go through advil pretty fast. you clearly never babysitted or got lucky with easy kids.

Your view of babysitting is warped. Good babysitters spend the time engaging with the child, bathing them,feeding them, getting them ready for bed, ready a story, making sure if they're sick they get medication, I mean I don't know one babysitter who spends the whole time sitting on the couch watching tv. I certainly never did and I got paid $10/hr. It's a real job it deserves real pay. I suppose you think day cares should volunteer their time as well.

Happened to me but I baby sat for two hours with my sister. She gave us $5 split, and we had to watch four kids under the age of 6. One was an eighth month old baby.

$3/hour is absurd, I made $5/hour when I used to babysit and that was in the late 90's.