By advanced history teacher - 27/04/2015 04:58 - United States - Phoenix

Today, I asked my class to name some West African countries. Several of them thought Ebola was a country. I teach an AP history class. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 336
You deserved it 4 116

Same thing different taste

Top comments

nityasomaiya 46

I'm wondering what they thought the disease was....

Comments

kenerics 12

you deserve it for teaching history lmao

I'm like 15 and people in my generation are so ignorants it's so so annoying

You're "like 15"? That's an oddly vague way to describe your age

As a fellow educator all I can say is at least you have identified an area which they can improve on if it is necessary for your course. With regards to other people's comments saying that the youth of today are ignorant, stupid and the likes this is simply not true. The youth of today is no less bright than the youth that went before it, we are just living in a society which places different emphasis on different things over time. Does it make sense for the youth to have a well grounded knowledge of countries (roughly at least)? Yes, it does but they do not need to know all of them, to be crude I have an app for that! I have to admit that I am just finishing a BA Honours degree in Geography at college, got an A in Geography at school and came in the top 20 of my class in geography at college but I do not know where a lot of countries that are outside the EU are. This is a product of the emphasis which we place on different places i.e. I live in Europe so our focus is on Europe. Your student's comments about thinking a disease was a country are interesting as a case study into ways in which people think about places, they don't hear much about Africa only that some parts of it are in crisis so that is what they associate with it (right or wrong!).

I hope they learn more about our country's ?

Sounds like they have listened to ruka ruka too many times

You dont have to be smart to take an AP history class, you just do more hw

stolenname 1

Ebola is a real place in Africa. The Ebola virus is named after the Ebola river in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

tchopper1969 16

and that's our future people.....