By Failure - 22/12/2016 03:32

Today, despite having glowing recommendations, stellar grades, and an impressive resumé, I was rejected by all 15 colleges that I applied to. No explanation or reasons have been given, and it's too late to apply to any more. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 845
You deserved it 932

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That definitely sucks, but I have to ask, did you have a good range of school, or any safety schools? Real ones? Or were most of your schools reach schools with a few "I'll probably get in here"s as your safeties? A friend of mine applied to 17 school and only got into 2, and one of them not even for her major. Why? She considered Oxford her reach school and only applied to a bunch of ivy leagues, high up specialty business schools, and a few might as well be ivy schools. She had a 4.0 and several out of school activities (though she had let most of them go by senior year) and a club or two, so she figured it was an easy in. Ivys are never an easy in. Plus, my school is high achieving, and she wasn't that special. The only school she really got into was an OK-ish state school that her parents forced her to apply to. Meanwhile I got into all but one of my 6 schools, and ended up going to a better college than she did despite only 3.4, and slightly more impressive extra curriculars. Another thing, if you didn't visit and interview at any colleges, do so next time. The only one I didn't get into is one of the only ones I didn't visit or interview at. It makes a really big difference. For your essays try to avoid writing about sports, mission trips/volunteer works, church, or grades. Also, for the love of all that is holy, don't just summarize the school's front page if they ask for an special essay (aforementioned friend also did this) on why you want to go. Unless you got a famous name with buttloads of cash behind you this will pretty much get your application thrown out. They know what you're doing, and it's insulting. If you got great grades by taking only the easiest level courses this will also count negatively. Try again next year, and enjoy a gap year to build up some cash and more resume fodder, don't get too cocky (impressive resumes aren't so impressive if even a fifth of your class is doing just as much or better). Apply to some "beneath you" schools, and if those are the only ones you get into they at the very least should give you a good aid package. A year won't really throw off the college experience.

I'm sorry to hear that! Unfortunately in states like Texas, the top 10% in your class automatically get in, so it leaves little room for other students even with exceptional applications. Good luck op, I wish you the best!

Comments

You're experiencing the difference between "all can get rich" and "anybody can get rich". Or in your case, educated.

What the hell are you even talking about?

I'm sorry to hear that! Unfortunately in states like Texas, the top 10% in your class automatically get in, so it leaves little room for other students even with exceptional applications. Good luck op, I wish you the best!

That's only for select schools in Texas. Most schools, especially those that are not like a UT or A&M, do top 15 or top 25. UT actually does top 7% so many students that don't meet this requirement do get into these schools because of other requirements, such as SAT/ACT scores, essays, ect. For OP, if her grades were really good, it must have been what she did/didn't do outside of school. Universities look at that as well. Community college isn't bad, especially if you wants to save money.

everton99 16

I could have easily been in the top 10% in my high school. I had no interest in going to college. I planned on waiting until I had a good job before I did. Now I've got that job and will be starting school later this year while still living comfortably and not wondering if I can find a job after I graduate.

k_sillz 6

That's exactly why my high school didn't do ranking. I made it into one of the best public universities in the country, yet there's no way I would have been in the top 10%. My school was jut filled with over-achievers.

Did you have enough extracurricular activities? A girl at my high school was 4.0/valedictorian and the main reason she was rejected was due to the fact she wasn't in any clubs. I don't know much about the schools you applied to (did you apply to all Ivy's??) but I do know being rejected from your top school absolutely sucks. When I was rejected from my top choice I called and asked what I could have done better for my application. They were happy to talk to me and give me advice. Perhaps you could call or email a few of the schools you thought you had a good chance for? I'm really sorry, OP. I've been there and it's god awful. Try looking into smaller schools with rolling admissions or community college. I'm sure this is stressful as hell and not what you want to do, but you can always transfer out. Good luck!

I think you hit the nail on the head. My cousin was rejected from his dream school (UC Berkley) despite being second in his class with over a 4.3 GPA because he had no extracurricular activities. Meanwhile, I was accepted into my dream school (UC Davis) with only a 3.67 GPA because I did volunteer work, was president and part of multiple clubs, etc. It isn't always about the grades; you have to show you can do well in school and know how to interact with others. You need both to be as successful possible and it helps you seem desirable to schools as well. I think it also depends on the major you're applying for. The more impacted the major, the harder it is to get in on your first try.

Isa_fml 20

My God, university applications in the US are ridiculous...

Berkeley and Davis don't really compare, despite both being UCs. Berkeley is highly competitive, Davis...not so much. When I was in HS we all applied to our top UC choices (Berkeley, UCLA, etc) and also Davis because we knew we would all get in there, just in case our top choices didn't pan out.

yep. and I have to start mine next semester!!

#60, it depends on the major you're applying for, as I stated previously. I'm pre-vet and Davis is well known for being competitive as hell in the medical fields, especially for pre-med and pre-vet students. You should research how many people apply vs. are accepted. It's not easy by any means. And let's not even start on the competitiveness of the graduate schools.

neuronerd 28

At least when it came to applying to grad school, most schools said they would offer an explanation or suggestions on how to be a more competitive applicant in the future. Were you applying for spring term, or are you living outside of the US? At least here, other than if you applied early decision (and you can only apply to one school for that), deadlines have not passed for next fall (and you wouldn't have gotten a rejection yet, but that's beside the point). Worst case scenario, find out the faults in your application, attend a semester of community college, strengthen your application, and include one or two definite safety schools. Good luck.

OP probably did early action, not early decision.

Most colleges don't say why they reject an applicant. Sorry to hear 15 rejected you. Maybe try an out of state college.

My guess is most of these were out-of-state private colleges. Try an in-state public university.

Dreamsorrow93 24

Take a year off and travel. Then reapply. All not lost unless you want it to be.

Not everyone can afford to just up and travel the world.

Not everyone can afford going to college but do so anyway.

28 Sure, some people can't afford college, but they find a way (or make their own way), and as long as they are wise in picking a field to go into, they can come out ahead (financially and educationally) in the end. College is an investment in yourself and your future, it's not just a series of experiences that leaves you with some unique memories (like traveling the world). A college education has the potential to pay you back for your time and money investment, while traveling isn't likely to have the same practical value.It's just silly to compare the two.

How about studying in another country? Canada will take you anytime with such a good record and it has some of the best universities in the world. England might take you as well.

As an American who studied abroad I agree with this! All they count is GPA and exams!

It's not the end of the world - good grades means you have the ability. Get a job, have some experience in life and if you still want to go to College apply again later. Adults often do better because they have chosen to be there.

College isn't everything, no one I know is working in their major. If I could redo I would definitely have done community college then transferred instead of having 60K in debt.

All the people I went to school with are working in our majors. But then again we did something useful, in our case, civil engineering.

I find that hard to believe. There's no possible way that with excellent grades and a great CV that you could possibly be rejected from ALL 15 schools. Either you're lying about your grades/CV or you didn't apply to that many schools.

neuronerd 28

Or perhaps they had disciplinary issues, suspensions, and/or expulsion on their record, or maybe they have terrible SAT/ACT scores, and their school is known for inflating grades.

Alternatively, maybe OP just applied to 15 of the hardest schools to get into. (never a smart thing to do may I add)