By TicketMePink - 20/05/2016 05:57 - United States

Today, an officer ticketed me for texting while driving. Apparently, getting dumped costs $180. FML
I agree, your life sucks 8 419
You deserved it 21 214

Same thing different taste

Top comments

just because it's a breakup text doesn't mean it's a freebie.

I mean, either way you shouldn't have been texting.

Comments

I'm sorry you got broken up with, but that's no excuse for texting while driving. You could've caused an accident and injured someone else. Did that thought even cross your mind when you went to look at that message? How inconsiderate. You deserved it.

I'm sorry to hear you got dumped -- that always sucks and hurts, but you'll be okay, OP, just take some time to yourself, surround yourself with loved ones. But that wasn't the reason you got a $180 fine and you know it. Even glancing at your phone could have been enough of a distraction for you to hurt yourself, someone else, or worse. Breakups are awful, but if you'd killed someone, looking their family in the eye and saying "I'm sorry, I just got dumped" would not make anyone feel better.

Your romantic life does not take priority of the literal lives of other drivers on the road. YDI.

Well you deserved a ticket. Just because you got broken up with doesn't give you a free pass. My company recently towed in a fatal about 2 weeks ago that was caused by one of the drivers texting. A text is not worth your life or anyone else's.

ACCOUNTKILLER 18

Getting dumped does not justify what you were doing. You could have waited or pulled over. How can you rationalize risking your life or the lives of others to communicate with a gutless piece of shit who dumps by text? YDI

ACCOUNTKILLER 18

**** no! When I get in my car, I am aware of the fact that I am operating a 2 ton death machine and it is imperative that I pay attention to what I and others are doing and be able to use good judgement at all times. This is for my safety and that of others. People die from this stupid shit and it needs to be taken seriously.

I never feel bad for people who text and drive. Too many people injured/dying because of it. YDI.

Wow...OP your getting hammered . Which is a good thing, since people get how dangerous it is to text and drive. I just got hit in my truck by someone not paying attention.

Look, it sucks that you got dumped via text and that (as many others have pointed out) is a really dick move, but seriously? You don't text and drive, EVER. You're lucky all it cost you was a fine and not someone's life. I lost my dad at fourteen because a woman (who was also uninsured) was too busy texting to notice his motorcycle coming and therefore failed to yield at the sign. Hit his side, and sent him flying. I didn't ever see my father alive again. Because this woman was TEXTING and not paying attention to her surroundings, three girls list a father and a woman lost her husband of more than twenty years. Consider that next time you think that your conversation is more important than the road.