Smart

By Anonymous - 16/03/2011 17:20 - United Kingdom

Today, I went on a date, the first one I've been on since my last boyfriend broke up with me 6 months ago. We were at a restaurant, and at the end of meal he insisted on paying the bill. He wanted to leave a 15% tip but couldn't work out in his head how much to leave. The bill was for £100. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 929
You deserved it 14 688

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That isn't that bad. Atleast he wasn't making you pay :)

be glad someone spent $100 on a first date for you, when it's just a dinner.

Comments

meezydagreat 0

you ungrateful Lil swine. your lucky someone actually wanted to take you out to dinner. you should have said thank you.

You know, they have tip calculators on most phones now. I think your boyfriend should get one of those.

just be happy he insisted on buying you dinner! he's a nice guy for that and spending that much on dinner for you. he's a keeper.!

bitch he spend that much on your ass and you worry about his math ? C'mon did you at least suck his pipe ?

He took you out for an expensive meal and you're complaining because he had a brain blip, gee maybe he forgot because he was feeling nervous? Give the guy a chance!

You have a keeper. A dumb rich guy who wants to spend his money on you.

yyyyeh. this isn't THAT big of a deal. sure, it's extremely basic math, but math isn't easy for everyone, and what matters is how he treats you. you should be happy he even LEFT a tip and wasn't being cheap! (tho 20% is standard IMO)

I'm sorry, but this hardly even qualifies as math any more. You don't have to calculate anything, you just have to know what the word "percent" means. We're talking about the basic level of intelligence required for independent day-to-day living. That said, when's the last time you've ever seen a bill come out to exactly £100? I bet he was probably trying to calculate 15% exactly and she's just exasperated that he didn't round, but wanted to make a bigger deal of it. Also, 20% isn't even standard in the US (15% is standard; 20% for outstanding service (or for those who can afford to be mathematically lazy like myself)). In the UK, tips aren't standard at all, and when they are given 10% is much more common. In fact, the fact that he was paying 15% in the UK might indicate that he was trying a bit hard to impress her more than anything. It might not, but that's definitely what people tend to assume if you pay 30% in the US (i.e. 150% of the 20% upper standard).

Uhhhh. you care too much about the math thing. as for the tip thing, idk what regular server wages where you live, but where I live they're piddly and I live in a city that is SO astronomically expensive-rent, transit, auto insurance.... canadian gov income taxes are retarded as well as this new HST bullshit making everything so expensive, so again, IN MY OPINION, 20% is standard. 15% for okay service, 10% for bad. and 20% should be standard cause servers bust their ass for minimal pay.

Servers get paid less than minimum wage pre-tip, and tips are expected to make up the gap. Standard tip _in_the_US_ (as I stated), is 15%. Not 'standard in my opinion'. Standard as in that is what is expected of everyone, and anything more is nice, and anything less is considered a slight. Either way, tipping is still a non-standard practice in the UK, even though many people do tip thanks to American influence. And the standard tip when somebody does bother is 10%. Even 15% is high, and 20% is pretty exorbitant. But how do I care too much about the math thing? If she said he couldn't read the menu because he was illiterate a lot more people would be sympathising with her. Basic arithmetic skills, and even some more advanced maths skills, are as essential for day-to-day living as literacy. This whole "it's okay if you can't do basic maths" shit is stupid; with the exception of relatively rare mental disabilities, everybody is as capable of maths as they are of reading. Hell, while I'm bitching about peeves, what is with the expectation that saying "it's just my opinion" renders one immune to criticism? If you try thinking about it for half a second, it's pretty obvious why that makes no sense: "In my opinion, you're a ******* asshole. Hey, don't hit me; it's just my opinion!" "In my opinion, US astronauts never landed on the moon. Hey, don't look at me like that; it's just my opinion!" "In my opinion, we should just kill all the minorities! Hey, man, it's just my opinion!" "In my opinion, 2 + 2 = 5. Hey, don't call me stupid; it's just my opinion!" No, that's just wrong. Now, clearly not every example is as bad as this, nor is there necessarily a wrong or right answer to everything, but the words "in my opinion" or "it's just my opinion" don't render you immune to criticism. Oh, don't agree with me? It's just my opinion!

So passionate for an FML comment Zargon.......I like it :)

fthku 13

I can't see where #229 might have said something like "I said it's my opinion, therefore you are not allowed to commentcriticise it", she just stated that it is her own opinion. As for the math matter, I agree that not being able to comprehend 15% out of 100 would be 15 is.. disturbing, but I don't think it's right to second-hand judge people in this sort of FML. It sounds to me like you were spot on with OP "fixing" the amount to a perfect 100 for sake of the FML. In regards to the tip- of course a tip is subject to an opinion. Yes, there is a "standard", but it's not really a law-binded standard, is it? Kind of an unwritten rule that most people follow, for sure, but not a must. People can leave 20% tips, 15%, 10% or not leave a tip at all. What your opinion of those people might be doesn't matter, but a tip is subject to whoever leaves it.

You should see my posting history. That one is... definitely not unusual. I don't really tend to have one-line thoughts very often, and I don't think any literate person should really have any problem with comments occasionally being longer than a paragraph.

"I can't see where #229 might have said something like "I said it's my opinion, therefore you are not allowed to commentcriticise it", she just stated that it is so." It's the all-caps for emphasis thin. Just stating it was so doesn't usually involve the strong emphasis, but people do the all caps shit all the time when they're trying to add the "you aren't allowed to criticise it" bit. "As for the math matter, I agree that not being able to comprehend 15% out of 100 would be 15 is.. disturbing, but I don't think it's right to second-hand judge people in this sort of FML. It sounds to me like you were spot on with OP "fixing" the amount to a perfect 100 for sake of the FML." Like you noted, the OP "fixing" the amount was my actual judgement on that case. The math matter itself is more explaining why it would be problematic if the FML is true as written. "In regards to the tip- of course a tip is subject to an opinion. Yes, there is a "standard", but it's not really a law-binded standard, is it? Kind of an unwritten rule that most people follow, for sure, but not a must. People can leave 20% tips, 15%, 10% or not leave a tip at all. What your opinion of those people might be doesn't matter, but a tip is subject to whoever leaves it." Strictly speaking, that's true, but it's true in the same way that there's no law for what different gestures mean. Consider the two. For those unfamiliar, make a V with your index & middle fingers, clench the rest of your fingers, and point the palm towards you. In a number of countries this more or less means "**** off", although there's no law stating such. In fact, take it the US and most people won't know you're doing anything to be considered offensive, the same way that the tipping standard will change between the US and the UK. But within the UK, while you might be making that gesture for any reason, it is rarely unfair to assume the person making the gesture means "**** off" and judge them as such. The tipping standard is basically the same way, and tipping significantly higher than the standard ranges, unless the server went way above and beyond (helping a proposal is always a good such reason), is usually a good sign somebody is trying way too hard to impress somebody.

fthku 13

That might be so, and it might not. I was just arguing the subjectivity of tipping. :)

I'm sorry. I can't even be bothered to read your responses and respond back to them cause you. care. too. much. and I just don't. so, ok. have an awesome day! :)

I don't see how so many people put "I agree your life sucks" really?

How many guys have you been on a FIRST date with that have spent that much money on you? Are you seriously going to criticize him for a (excuse the term because I hate it, but can't think of anything better) brain fart? It's ridiculous. OP doesn't even deserve what she got. She deserves to be single until she learns generosity OR dates this guy BEYOND the first date and realizes he is not as smart as she requires for her standards. To judge a guy that was trying to be nice on a mathematical blunder is ridiculous when he was trying to be kind!

Um, I agree but I don't think you mean to post this as a response to kykyshay who seems to agree with you too! She was saying she doesn't see why so many people put "I agree your life sucks" to the OP...because it doesn't...because the guy was nice. Then you respond to her kind of aggressively like she was arguing with you, but saying the same thing!

there is such thing as a brain-fart. everybody gets those.