Pops

By Squid - 21/02/2017 07:00 - Canada - Parksville

Today, my older boyfriend and I went shopping together. When we arrived at the till, the cashier looked at me and asked, "Is this your pop?" I replied "No, this is my boyfriend, but we get that a lot." She paused, pointed at the case of Coke in the cart and said again, "Is this your pop?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 653
You deserved it 3 108

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You gotta own it, OP! Grab that case of coke, hold it close to you, and say, "Come on, honey, we're leaving!"

I'm a little confused as to why you made that mistake. You were shopping. You should have logically assumed she meant the sodas. Especially since calling one's dad "Pop" is an extremely outdated thing.

Comments

I'm a little confused as to why you made that mistake. You were shopping. You should have logically assumed she meant the sodas. Especially since calling one's dad "Pop" is an extremely outdated thing.

My guess is OP is around 70yrs and her BF is like 90yrs.. But good that they stay active and on sites like this.

species4872 19

What makes you think calling your dad pop is outdated? Just because you don't use it don't assume.

She made the mistake because it's called soda

no its not. I call my dad's dad pop and he calls him pop too. it's a culture thing.

Far more people still use "pop" to mean "soda" these days than to refer to their dads. So my point still stands. And regardless, she was still in a store, buying soda. She should have caught the hint, whether she uses "pop" that way or not.

Actually I hear people use pop for dad more than soda so I don't think you point really does stand

She was in a store with her older boyfriend who often gets confused for her father. Of course she's going to think the cashier is referring to her boyfriend. Also, many more people use pop as father than soda.

I hear "pop" referring to father far more frequently than I hear it referring to soda. I've only met one person offline who called soda "pop".

Maybe because they get that question enough that it becomes second nature to answer the way the OP did. Also, I'm a little confused as to why the cashier asked the question like that. If it's in their cart, chances are it's theirs.

Using 'pop' isn't outdated at all. I and many people I know use it all the time. I think your most likely to use 'pop' in England and 'soda' in other countries e.g. USA because I never use soda or hear anyone around me say that in England.

ashbee11790 8

I live in the south and if someone asked me about my "pop" I would think they were asking about my dad, not soda. It just depends on where you live and the slang for the area.

Who the **** calls soda pop, I've called my dad pop before.

foxesntea 22

I call soda, pop I heard it's mostly a Canadian thing.

calling soda "pop" is extremely out dated

You gotta own it, OP! Grab that case of coke, hold it close to you, and say, "Come on, honey, we're leaving!"

What a dumb cashier! How is a case of Coke going to father a child? It's biologically impossible!

an excellent reason to call it soda, or coke, if I've ever heard one

species4872 19

In Australia it isn't called soda or soda pop, Any carbonated drink is called a "soft drink"

In the US, they're called pretty much everything. Soda, soda water, soft drink, pop, coke (even if it's not coke), drink.

In the US, they're called everything. Soda, soda water, pop, coke (even if it's not Coke), drink.

That was just a really good save by the cashier. "Oh **** I just mistook a couple for relatives uhhhhh oh I'll just play it off!"

jcash52426 5

No this is snap. Crackle and pop are home watching tv.

This when you point to Iggy Pop, who is coincidentally standing directly behind you. You have to claim him, of course.

To everyone saying that calling soda 'pop' is very outdated are actually incorrect. I live in Washington state and a majority of the people here call it pop instead of soda. And to everyone saying that calling your dad 'pop' is also very outdated are incorrect as well. I used to call my dad pop all the time and have heard others say it as well.