Oh the times, they are a-changin'

By toelie - 06/11/2017 22:00

Today, as two of my students walked into my classroom, I said, "Hi, ladies". One of them screamed at me: "Did you just assume my gender?!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 104
You deserved it 602

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"Absolutely. Please feel free to politely correct me. It certainly looks better for you than if you were so disrespectful as to yell at me."

The comments are getting a little out of hand so I'm stepping in! Whether or not you like it, many people now see a difference between sex (anatomical) and gender (social). If you feel compelled to comment on the issue, please be kind to each other. Thanks!

Comments

Start referring to her with male pronouns and see what she says then.

ohsnapword 21

Well, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck...

It sounds like they were trying to make a joke at the expense of trans people, not that they were actually themselves trans. So that kinda just sucks for everyone cause the more we hear that joke, the less safe trans ppl feel to be open :/

Plus, she was disrespectful to the teacher.

Have "it" suspended from class for a few days ... the R E S P E C T, she is asking from you, should be mutual. It is not acceptable to lash out and scream down a teacher or professor. If it is so important to her to be called a certain gender or none, she must be willing to communicate this politely and calmly.

Literally no trans person would actually say that. That person was an asshole. Outting yourself as trans to strangers (or even people you know) can be deadly.

The only times it was deadly, though I am completely against what the person did to the Trans person, was when the Trans person lied to their face about what they really are and had sex with them.

Really? You're saying no transgender person has ever been murdered under different circumstances than that? Am I actually correctly understanding that as what you mean?

Lobby_Bee 17

Gotta stop teaching kids that they can be anything they want to be. This is getting out of hand.

Next time great them with "Hello Jerks".

_"If you have a ****** yes I assumed your gender"

FYI, that particular phrase has mostly become a meme specifically making fun at transgender people. I doubt it was being used in sincerity. (Though, it's certainly possible.)

It's also disrespectful to scream at your teacher.

Yes. Were you just chiming in an additional observation or did it sound like I was saying otherwise?