Some friends you've got there

By Anonymous - 25/05/2020 14:00

Today, I got my commissioned anime portrait done. One of my friends commented on why all my commissions are skinny look-alikes, when I'm really fat in real life and active in body positivity. Then everyone started agreeing with her, stating that if I was so happy with who I am, why my art is of me slim? FML
I agree, your life sucks 768
You deserved it 1 909

Same thing different taste

Top comments

They are asking a very good question. What was your answer?

You sound like a hypocrite. If you're really into "body positivity" of your plus-sized self, you'd reject your artists' works and tell them to portray you accurately. The simplest solution to your quandary would be to lose weight.

Comments

Amanda Howard 9

those aren't your friends. even if they agreed they should of kept that to themselves

bloopaloop 27

Friends are the ones who ask the hard questions.

Real friends ask difficult questions. It’s definitely something OP has to think about if they’re really positive about their own image

They are asking a very good question. What was your answer?

You sound like a hypocrite. If you're really into "body positivity" of your plus-sized self, you'd reject your artists' works and tell them to portray you accurately. The simplest solution to your quandary would be to lose weight.

As someone who works hard to stay in shape, I'd be curious to what your answer is. If I ever called you fat, I'd get my head ripped off but it's ok for your kind to attack me for my body even though it takes a lot of work. How are you not a hypocrite?

Where did the OP insult anyone for how they look? Why do you assume the OP looks down on people who work super hard to stay fit? Also you don't know that the OP actually is really fat and doesn't just have asshole "friends". Believe it or not there are people who just enjoy insulting others and so keep people around specifically to be metaphorical punching bags.

Why is everyone calling OP a hypocrite? He never said looked down on people skinnier/more fit than himself. It's his damn anime portrait, he can have it done however he wants. How many of you make a main character in a video game look as close to you as possible? It's not that easy, is it? Especially if you don't have the body of a chopstick.

Everyone is jumping on the OP as being a hypocrite and the like but there are at least two other possibilities. 1. The OP isn't actually all that fat but simply has those kind of friends who treat anything other than stick thin as morbidly obese. 2. The OP legitimately doesn't see themselves the way their friends do and genuinely didn't realize that they are overweight. Being Body Positive is not a guarantee that you don't have a kind of body dismorphia causing you to see reality as different than what it is.

Your friend was a jerk for wording it that way but it's a valid question. Unless your commissions are not drastically different from real life you. Anything else would make you a hypocrite.

This is something I can relate to. There aren't a lot of plus size anime characters, so if that's what you've been learning to draw it makes sense that you wouldn't learn to draw that body type. Plus the way they hold themselves is different than thin people I'm larger sized too and I didn't learn to draw larger people for a long time.

Then OP should look for an artist that can draw heavier people. This isn't the artist's fault. The artists are simply drawing what OP is asking for. This is OP's problem for asking for skinny drawings of herself.

That's actually a really good point. OP needs to do some introspection.