Double standard

By Anonymous - 09/01/2012 05:01 - United States

Today, I spent five hours sobbing in my room due to antidepressant withdrawal. My mother refused to come and talk to me, because I'm "a terrible, hateful child who only cares about herself." Last week, I spent two hours comforting her because my brother hadn't called in a week. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 194
You deserved it 3 688

Same thing different taste

Top comments

bi-polarism is a terrible disease. feel bad for her

Buttsexpirate 9

Sounds like somebody needs a hug! :3

Comments

Um, your mom's a cold heartless bitch. What mom would act that way towards her child!? I feel for you, I suffer from depression too. So , I know how you feel. I also hate it when people assume that when someone says they're depressed, they think you're just doing it for attention. What a bunch of idiots.

so true. you have to go through it to even begin to comprehend what it's like. people are so quick to judge what they don't understand

GoW_Chick 14

Was it just me or did anyone else read this comment and think it was going to be a poem because of the way it was spaced, it didn't even rhyme, all good poems do... Side note: sorry about your depression and idiot problem.

bamagrl410 31

11 & 16 - I couldn't agree more. Depression is a terrible condition & it gets in the way of absolutely everything in life. I'm lucky that people around me are understanding when it comes to the moodiness. I feel bad for OP.

I agree. I really dislike it when people self-diagnose some kind of seriously problem, or diagnose it in others. "Oh she's bi-polar" "Oh she's ADD" "Oh I have OCD" It's just silly. Also, @24 - Not all good poetry rhymes. I've read plenty of good poetry that doesn't have a rhyme scheme. Saying it's not a good poem because it doesn't rhyme is paying more attention to the mechanics than what's actually being said, which is just stupid.

lishy1311 0

I know ! It's the worst when people assume and think they have you all figured out when the reality is, they don't know anything unless they've experienced depression firsthand.

You shouldn't be off your anti- depressants unless your doctor takes you off them & even then the doctor would gradually reduce the dose

mommapanda 0

12-Have you considered that perhaps OP hasn't gotten a refill on the medication yet? Maybe, even, OP's mother is refusing to fill the prescription?

Doctors do not lower dosages on antidepressants or bipolar medications unless you are 'zombified' , as this is not a common cold. It is a chemical imbalance in your brain that does not go away. There are ways to deal with this disease without medicine, I would not suggest it though. Sometimes these medications are expensive, especially if there is a lack of insurance. Don't preach.

that sucks. i feel bad for you, but if you feel like that, why don't you get the anti-depressive?

I don't talk to my family for sometimes months because my life is so busy lol your mom needs to get over it.

SecretMe00 5

15-- Do you happen to be bi?

#51 And how is this any of our business, or even relevant to the thread?

Did you stop pills suddenly? And if you have depression you should still take them. Though if you're mom has told you things like that you're whole life I can see why you're depressed. What a terrible thing to say to your child! I hope you're getting therapy and what you need to be happy. Good luck OP

Well, that's great for you, but everyone is different. Just because getting off the pill is good for you, doesn't mean it's good for everyone, and OP is obviously in need of her pills.

MrHankie1999 0

So now he hasn't called in two weeks?

it's okay :) parents are getting too hypocritical nowadays... cheer up :)

SecretMe00 5

That's so true, parents are super hypocritical!!!

no wonder the daughter is on anti depressants and the son wont call. poor thing those pills really screw with ur emotions when u come off them, not to mention the horrid physical withdrawls! when a child needs support a mother should be less selfish.