Am I being detained?

By KidJwal - 28/02/2012 17:10 - United States

Today, I had to explain to a cop that the reason I was speeding was because my girlfriend was in the hospital due to a car accident. He was working the accident just ten minutes before and saw me leave behind the ambulance. He still gave me a ticket. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 528
You deserved it 6 959

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sorry, but ydi. What if you had caused another accident. I understand it's an emergency with someone you care about, but that doesn't mean you can break the law without consequences.

I'm a firefighter and we run ambulances also. The cop did the right thing. You're not supposed to follow behind the ambulance. Have you been trained to drive thru busy city streets like that? And what are you going to do at the hospital when you get there right behind the ambulance? You're just gonna stand in the waiting room. Putting on your hazard lights does not make you an emergency vehicle. Plain and simple. We've had people crash trying to follow ambulances because as soon as the ambulance went thru the intersection everyone thought it was ok to go and ran right into the moron driving behind it.

Comments

Some cops don't have souls. They just have a quota

They couldn't fill their quotas if people didn't break the law in the first place. Don't blame the person who catches you when you choose to break the rules!

Just because your girlfriend was being taken to the hospital doesn't give you the right to drive like a jackass. Just like if your girlfriend was going into labor doesn't give you the right to drive like a jackass. There is a speed limit and traffic laws for a reason. Perhaps you need to have your license suspended to learn that.

Just because your gf was in an accident doesn't give you the right to break the law and speed. You could've gotten in an accident yourself. Hope she's ok though, unless it's her fault, then Idc

demon_865 7

Sorry to say but it was her emergency not yours and if your speeding like that you could cause another accident. Nobody is allowed to follow an ambulance if they're going fast and the ambulance probably called the cops on you. I know that's what I do when people follow mine speeding.

Karmasabiych 7

sure that sucks but to make you feel better you are a very sweet bf

Just because your gf is injured, that isn't a good excuse to speed. It's not like you're going to make her any better by getting there quicker. You'd probably just have to wait longer in the waiting room.

First: you made the decision to speed, and I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same but I would own up to getting a ticket. Second: I'm curious as to how you were at the scene of your girlfriend's accident in your own car. You must have been involved in the accident somehow, the cops wouldn't let you just drive up and pull over if she called you. If you were one of the drivers involved in the accident (she was your passenger?) then there would be good reason for the cop to stop you from doing something reckless.

OR... he got a phone call that she was in an accident, and he showed up before she left the scene.

"the cops wouldn't let you just drive up and pull over if she called you"... You didn't read that? If there has been an accident serious enough for someone to need an ambulance then it is still unlikely that a) he would get to the scene before she got in the ambulance and b) the cops would let a non-involved party stop at the scene. So either he was involved and is not in a good state-of-mind or he wasn't involved and she only had minor injuries that didn't require urgent attention so he shouldn't have been speeding in the first place.

I'm confused, the cop was working the scene which you were at and then pulled you over 10 minutes later? Did the ambulance drive in a circle?? Or did the cop just speed ahead of you to pull you over on the way to the hospital? Either way YDI!

Ya cops are dicks one time my mom was in traffic and the cop said your riding close to his bumpeer and she said look behind me and he was closer than she was to the person in front of her then he just rolled up his window then pulled over the guy in front of her!