By Anonymous - 27/09/2010 07:03 - United States
Add a comment - Reply to : #
Actually 1 they do reject donors just by; -Weighting less than 110 lb -Been Homosexual -Having a recent tattoo -Recently traveled to some countries (I.e. Africa) -and god knows what else lol yup. One of my friends couldn't donate because he was gay and the other because she just got a tattoo. the rest is based on books I have read. I'm guessing they don't want to waste their time examining contaminated blood..... discriminating I know. :(
Reminds me of my younger brother. He went to get his swine flu shot and the nurse cleaned his arm with that alcoholic wipe. While she was wiping, he was crying and screaming "Ahhh" like a little girl and saying stuff like "No! Please don't do it!" Funny memories FTW.
124: The travel restrictions aren't just for "Africa"; they cover travel anywhere with a risk of malaria, including many African countries, and tropical countries in Asia and the Americas. That's because antimalarial drugs don't actually prevent the transmission of malaria. They drastically lessen the effects, should you contract it. I know the antimalarial drugs can have some severe side effects, too, so travelers don't always take them correctly. For the record, you can't donate blood if you've gotten a piercing within the past 12 months either.
Being gay doesn't increase your chance for diseases. But back in the 70s the US was even more hateful towards gay people than now, I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. So they banned gay blood because they wanted to believe that by being gay you automatically got AIDS. Percentage-wise straights have more diseases than homosexuals. In the UK half of the latest years diagnoses of HIV were heterosexuals, 5% from drugs, 2% mother-to-child (meaning infected women having children), 2% from blood or tissue transfer, and 5% from unknown causes. That comes out to 64% of HIV not coming from homosexual relationships. Leaving only the remaining 36% to homosexuals.
No, syringes are hard plastic tubes with stoppers which suck things out or put things in, via a needle attached tons syringe, or without a needle. I use syringes for g-tube feedings, I do not use needles. Needles are called needles, or in the case of IV's cannula needles, and after the needle is removed, it's just a cannula. For blood, they use a huge 18 gauge cannula needle to start the IV access. And for the record, I am a registered nurse, who uses this stuff on a regular basis, and inventories it on a semi regular basis. I KNOW what my equipment is, officially and unofficially.
137, firstly, no I shan't I live in Australia it's bloody boiling, and when you've got my abs you wouldn't wear a shirt either. secondly, I'm an English major I know what a dictionary is. and thirdly I realize they are different things by definition but the point is OP is still getting stabbed in the arm with a needle whether thats technically it's name or not. If you have a fear of spiders and I put a tarantula in your bed I could argue all day that it's not a spider, it would still make you shit yourself.
That was the point. You can say it's not a spider, but the person would just know it is, and still be scared. The point they were trying to make is that even if the thing being used to take the blood isn't actually a syringe, it doesn't matter to the person with the phobia, they're still going to be scared. It all matters to the person. The actual term is Trypanophobia, and it refers to all medical procedures involving needles.
To be fair, if we are basing this off of looks we are going to need some lingerie photos. if we are going off of the personalities we have witnessed in all the comments, my vote would be FFML. She may be crazier than hell, but there is just something incredibly hot about that. Sourgirl, if you and FFML hook up, all I can say is.... pics or it didn't happen.
Bahahahaha! I'm laughing so hard at the 'crazier than hell' comment. I'm very glad you find my mental stability attractive. ;) Pendatik, you know I'm always willing to take you out. No pictures you pervs! See, I always end up in these dirty conversations. Bad Anna, BAD! You are all evil and trying to manipulate my innocence. This chastity belt is on tight. -Runs away laughing-
Just put some music on and tune it out. I hate needles too.. but when push comes to shove I can at least look away and think of something else.
I'm like that too I'm not afraid of needles but I have really bad veins so it really hurts whenever I need an iv access. last time I was in the hospital the nurse put the needle in but the vein rolled away so she was rooting around trying to find it and it it really hurt so I started freaking out and she told me to look away but I need to see it or it's worse. so I just pushed her away and took the needle out myself and had someone else get it on the first try on the other arm.