Workplace hell

By insensitive prick - 19/08/2013 19:04 - United States - Tinley Park

Today, I was at a "Bring your family to work" event. I noticed my coworker brought his kids but not his wife, so I asked, "No wife today?" Everyone glared at me and he pointedly replied that she's married to someone else now. I had no idea. Now everyone thinks I'm an insensitive prick. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 658
You deserved it 9 034

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Things never to say to your co-workers: 1) How's your wife/husband? 2) Are you pregnant? 3) The light bulb in your bedroom closet is out. Um, actually forget about #3.

Comments

Unless your coworker is also a close friend of yours, I find it's better not to inquire about the absence of a significant other. Even if they were still married, the reason she wasn't there could easily have been that they had been fighting, or another unpleasant circumstance that's best to avoid bringing up.

You shouldn't make jokes like that anyways, especially if you don't know for sure or around his kids!! YDI

Well, divorce is better than finding out she is dead, so there is that.

I actually thought the story was going to end with you saying that she had died and you didn't know. That would've been much worse, so don't beat yourself up.

Jst4kicks 16

not your fault.. just keep apologizing

"When you assume you make an ass out of u and me." You shouldn't have jumped to conclusions and asked someone else why his wife wasn't there. Doing this would have saved his feelings and your reputation.

That sucks they didn't even hear you out did they.

martin8337 35

Sometimes it' s better to keep one's mouth shut on certain subjects as not to offend hypersensitive people .