Workplace hell

By insensitive prick - 19/08/2013 19:04 - United States - Tinley Park

Today, I was at a "Bring your family to work" event. I noticed my coworker brought his kids but not his wife, so I asked, "No wife today?" Everyone glared at me and he pointedly replied that she's married to someone else now. I had no idea. Now everyone thinks I'm an insensitive prick. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 658
You deserved it 9 034

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Things never to say to your co-workers: 1) How's your wife/husband? 2) Are you pregnant? 3) The light bulb in your bedroom closet is out. Um, actually forget about #3.

Comments

I don't make it a point to know about the personal lives of my co-workers either.

zuixdoll 9

Who cares they act like you knew.everyone makes mistakes and it was an honest question

TheCaramelKing 11

I hate whenever that happens to you. You don't know something and then people don't like you for it. I feel you!

mconn2 1

What kind of job has bring your family to work day? Lol

You really should of not made a comment like that especially when there so many broken marriages now.

Following on from #70, we shouldn't comment on each other's spouses on the off-chance that they have separated/divorced since last meeting?

Poetaster 10

Tkay- your hubby is a very lucky man- nuff said :)

crisanba 18

The over sensitivity in today's world is just insane. People need to learn to not be so thin skinned about stuff. Intent should cause a reaction, not words themselves. I only get upset if someone is intending to be mean. If I'm having an over sensitive day and someone hits a sore spot I keep my mouth shut when I know they weren't trying to be malicious.

Totally deserved it. You should've kept your comment to yourself. There are so many awkward reasons for him to be there without his wife - separation, divorce, death. You walked right into this one.

And here we have the reason why everybody is socially awkward these days... Really? So we should all just not talk to each other and always automatically assume the worst? Maybe all his colleagues just need to get their heads out of their asses and get off the high horse. Maybe they should have asked if he knew about the situation in the first place instead of automatically assuming the worst about a person. Not everyone is an asshole. If said colleague didn't share this tidbit of information with him, how is he supposed to know? This way a genuine show of interest gets turned around because they are idiots...