Windy city

By Anonymous - 11/08/2016 00:24 - United States

Today, on my way to a big convention in Chicago, I found out that when my friend said, "I live in Chicago," they really meant, "I live an hour and a half outside of Chicago." Hello traffic and hours of daily driving. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 646
You deserved it 1 776

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's your fault for not asking for details ahead of time... You could have asked for the address to see how far he lived from the convention if you cared so much.

Today, when I woke up to angry texts from my friend, I found out that when they said "I'd love to come visit," they really meant, "I'd love to be a free-loader." Hello loneliness and betrayal.

Comments

how does this get approved and mine doesnt

tmh6586 12

Look up his address before you go. You deserved that. It's your own fault.

Literally 75% of people who say they're from Chicago actually live in the suburbs. I for one am actually in the city!

They probably meant that they in Chicagoland which includes the surrounding suburbs and extends to parts of Wisconsin and Indiana.

mariri9206 32

Chicago (or even "Chicagoland") does not extend to anything besides Chicago, especially if you live in Wisconsin or Indiana. Because you live in the burbs or Wisconsin or Indiana.

An hour and a half from where you want to be could still be in Chicago. It's a pretty big metropolitan area and rather than claiming Cicero or Parkridge or Hammond, they just say Chicago. I'm from Illinois; Chicago is that whole half moon up around the lake. The actual city lines are pretty moot. That's how most big cities work.

Darkreign333 23

Anyone from the Chicago area knows that when someone says they're from Chicago, there's an 80% chance they're from the suburbs. Sorry OP, construction is almost halfway done!

hated this bs when onling dating sites. "i live in philadelphia" i go to ask what part "upper Darby". thats like 2 hours outside the city, its like two counties over.

Look up "metropolitan area." You might learn something.

As someone who lives in Illinois- yeah, anyone who lives within two hours of Chicago says that. Any suburb with a commuter train counts itself as "chicago." Because they don't want to say that they just live in Illinois, 'cause if you don't say Chicago people just hear "I grew up in a corn field and my mom was a moo cow."