Windy city

By Anonymous - 11/08/2016 00:24 - United States

Today, on my way to a big convention in Chicago, I found out that when my friend said, "I live in Chicago," they really meant, "I live an hour and a half outside of Chicago." Hello traffic and hours of daily driving. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 646
You deserved it 1 776

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's your fault for not asking for details ahead of time... You could have asked for the address to see how far he lived from the convention if you cared so much.

Today, when I woke up to angry texts from my friend, I found out that when they said "I'd love to come visit," they really meant, "I'd love to be a free-loader." Hello loneliness and betrayal.

Comments

Hey, we have this thing called google maps. And planning ahead. It's a thing

If your friend is letting you stay for free and you seriously have the gall to complain about the distance... They're saving you hundreds and possibly over a thousand dollars. And you are annoyed at them for not telling you something you should have looked up before going??

showmeyourears 19

Honestly driving from the suburbs to the city of Chicago isn't the worst as long as you're not driving around 7-9 in the morning and 4-6 in the evening. A two hour drive home during rush hour was less than an hour to get there from where I live at 11 am. Not nearly as bad as some other places (LA) where all day is rush hour and actual rush hour is literal hell. Also, even if you're friend actually lived in the city of Chicago, that doesn't necessarily mean you'd be any closer to the convention than you already are. Chicago's ******* huge!

This is funny to me because I am one of those people who say they live in Chicago but in reality I live in the burbs. The reason I say it all the time is because most people see it as: you're either from Springfield, Downtown Chicago or by O'hare/Midway. it's sometimes just easier to say you live in Chicago than explaining you live in a small suburb outside of the city. But if you leave early enough, you should be just fine depending on the day. Good luck OP and hope you like the Windy City!

I live 54 miles outside of Chicago so I totally agree. When I have to explain where I live I start with outside of Chicago, then do you know Joliet? Ok 20 minutes past that. Lol.

afisxfallxchild 9

Everyone who lives in the suburbs of Chicago says that.

That's what most of us actually from Chicago complain about, like if you don't live IN the city you don't live IN Chicago.

ollygollymolly 6

If you can't find anything hotel-wise, check out couch surfing! I've met so many cool people by staying on their couches and them staying on mine. Never request a couch from anyone without any references, and always be aware of your surroundings! Good luck :)

August 10th? Were you going to the Escape Room conference in Schaumburg?

My husband is a truck driver, and he tends to refer to Illinois as 'the state of Chicago,' because so much of the state refers to itself as the city. Sorry you got stuck in that, but at least you're closer than you were!

Luke16eirb7deneuwn1 20

Then I dunno GET IN A GODDAMN HOTEL