Waiting room issues

By Anonymous - 04/11/2014 19:08 - United States - Grand Ledge

Today, while in a hospital waiting room, a man started talking to me. After a few minutes, he asked me what I did for a living, and I said I'm a stay-at-home mom. He looked me up and down and said, "Huh. No life ambitions, huh?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 473
You deserved it 7 603

Same thing different taste

Top comments

He was completely wrong.. Obviously it's your life ambition to bring into this world and nurture the next generation of corporate slaves (aka employees).

Stay at home mom are some of the hardest working people I know

Comments

Maybe he should try being a full time parent before judging you! Doubt he would last a day!

stacey2570 21

I'm a stay at home grandma. Let me tell you haters something watching is children hard ******* work! !

Being a stay at home mom does not just entail "staying at home." You are 1. Mother 2. Personal Shopper 3. Chauffeur 4. Event Planner 5. Full Time Nurse 6. Educator 7. Maid 8. Chef 9. Arbitrator (if more than one child) And those are just to name some of the jobs you have at home.

Seriously?... That's bullshit. I babysit 2 young kids from time to time and I do agree that it's hard. It is. They want your attention every second. And as a stay at home parent you also have to take care of the house on top of that, so it is a lot to do and as long as you're not slacking of by being on the phone/internet, it is hard work. That being said, stay at home parents are NOT professional and qualified workers. Note the 'qualification' part: you need to go to school and learn a lot to be a qualified nurse/doctor etc, using your genitals for producing a child and taking care of them when they have a cold or a flu, does NOT magically pour the knowledge into your head. Same goes for an educator and bunch of other professions because you need to possess a certain knowledge which is not attained from popping out a kid. Also, except for rich people who hire people to do a lot of things for them, everyone is a personal shopper (might be a surprise but even unchilded people buy groceries, clothes etc), a chauffeur (do you honestly think non-SAHPs don't drive themselves and other people to places), event planners (besides the fact that being an actual event planner does require a lot of management knowledge and practice and you're not one for organising a playdate or a kid's birthday party, everyone(!) organizes quite a lot of things for their lives), maid/chef (I have always sort of assumed that most people clean their houses and prepare food for themselves but does that mean that we all should call ourselves maids and chefs?) and so on. So while being a stay at home parent IS hard work (as long as you're not constantly on your phone/laptop surfing the internet or chatting) when you do all the work, your post is (with all due respect) holier-than-though bullshit.

You babysit kids from "time to time".....get over yourself. Try babysitting them 24/7 for a week or so and we'll see what you have to say then.

#40, you might've made a good point in there somewhere, but unfortunately just by the sheer length of your post, you probably lost 90% of readers, so we don't even care to tell if you made a good point or not...

I don't think stay at home moms have the hardest jobs, but they're providing a service for their family. He's rude for assuming you have no ambitions and he probably isn't married nor has children.

Considering the fact society pushes women in the direction of breeding so often, I think he is kind of right. She was going in the direction that society pushes her and didn't make a plan for herself. That doesn't mean she isn't a hard worker, but you can't really advance in being a stay at home mom and if she ever gets back into the work force she probably isn't going to be very high up on the ladder. It was rude for him to say it, but it is kind of true.

Yeeeah... no. If he'd "meant well" he wouldn't have insulted her.

I never said anything about well meaning, I said it was rude to say.

Octwo 16

Always has to be at least one idiot claiming that she's been manipulated into living a certain way. She's doing what makes her happy and/or what she deems necessary for her children's well-being. Go back to tumblr with the other blowhards pretending to be feminists.

MommyTesta 9

society does the opposite actually with all of this feminism crap going on. They deem it a waste of time and degrading to raise your children. If you don't want to raise them when you have the opportunity then why are you having them? If you have to work, which in this economy isn't surprising, then you have to. But if you have the chance to actually mother your children then don't let society tell you how dumb you are and are setting yourself back. If you think raising your own children are holding you back then you're obviously a selfish person who shouldn't be a mother in the first place.

He meant no harm probably. He probably saw great things in you and thought you would have a successful career. Yes a stay at home mom is a job in itself too but like I said he meant no harm

Not only was he completely rude but....I don't see why your 'life ambitions' as he put it have to be connected to what you do for a living. A lot of us have job, whatever they may be, that certainly weren't our life ambitions. I'm a company manager.....my life ambitions are not even remotely connected to what I do for a living. OP is a stay at home mother but her ambition may be, for example, to do a bungee jump or visit Australia.....I don't know! It could be anything as well as being a fabulous mother.

I would have watched you slap him and laugh. What a prick. It's hard to take care of kids! People need to start realizing all the hard work it takes to be a parent.