Deadbeat

By Puffy - 06/04/2023 04:00

Today, I’m packing up to leave my home and move back to my mother's with my newborn a week postpartum, all because when I was at the hospital, I overheard my husband say to his buddy on the phone that this “father stuff” is way more than he bargained for and that he’s tired of pretending to find me attractive. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 162
You deserved it 153

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your husband is an asinine prick. He needs to man up and do his job. If he feels fatherhood was more than he bargained for, he can always get served divorce papers and orders for child support, alimony, and spousal support. He should have thought of you and the consequences before doing the deed.

The baby was a few hours old AT MOST when OP’s husband already expressed a dislike of parenting and insulted her postpartum body. This is not the kind of thing where you should be preaching for moderation, this is dealbreaker material.

Comments

Your husband is an asinine prick. He needs to man up and do his job. If he feels fatherhood was more than he bargained for, he can always get served divorce papers and orders for child support, alimony, and spousal support. He should have thought of you and the consequences before doing the deed.

At one time or another most of us have said something that was not what we should have said and in reality not how we really felt. I wouldn’t end a marriage or relationship over one negative remark unless it fit into a larger pattern that showed that it really was representative of a failed relationship… New children and childbirth itself is a very stressful time for Mom and to a lesser degree for Dad. Sometimes people say or do things in that time that are hurtful. Obviously Dad should be more supportive than what he said. And this is sometimes a very emotional time for new Mom and that may make her more sensitive… There are times when it’s the right decision to end a relationship. But sometimes people are too quick to end a relationship over things that could be worked out between the couple. Inherently stressful times are not always the best time to make the make or break decision. And no one but the couple themselves knows the whole picture and is qualified to know when it’s time to call it quits… OP - If this is truly a failed relationship then you have my sympathy. This is a terrible time that you are going to be going through. Most states in the USA require both parents to support their children according to their abilities. Being a woman (or a man) does not give anyone exclusive rights to support or marital property. I have been through divorce myself and sometimes it’s best - But it’s never easy for either party.

@Chazzster - Everyone has lines/boundaries that can't be crossed. She wouldn't have left if he hadn't crossed hers. Perhaps consider respecting her decision?

The baby was a few hours old AT MOST when OP’s husband already expressed a dislike of parenting and insulted her postpartum body. This is not the kind of thing where you should be preaching for moderation, this is dealbreaker material.

Wait, you're leaving your husband not because he abandoned you or was planning to but because he was (in a reasonable interpretation) overwhelmed and venting, supposedly in confidence? That's a matter of couple's counseling, not divorce, unless there's a lot more to the story than what you're telling. Slow down, Mom.