By dating a big bag of dicks - 13/05/2014 21:02 - United States

Today, while driving out to the countryside with my new boyfriend, we came across a deer lying in the road. It seemed badly hurt, but instead of letting me get out and make sure, my boyfriend decided to just run over its head to finish it off, then continued driving with a smirk on his face. FML
I agree, your life sucks 59 480
You deserved it 9 207

Same thing different taste

Comments

Its a deer, if it was critically injured what were you going to do?

I live out in the country and sadly this stuff happens a lot. Sometimes the police will come and shoot it or someone else will. There are times that the only option is to run it over. While it seems harsh, leaving it in the road to suffer would be far more inhumane.

Although he did the right thing, actually enjoying it is cause for alarm. I hunt deer for food, it's necessary and more humane than supporting the horrendous stuff the meat industry gets away with, but I don't enjoy it. That's really disturbing.

classiceagle63 16

zombie land rule number one. Double tap.

ileenefudge 29

Rule 1 is Cardio. Rule 2 is Double Tap. I don't think any of these rule apply here though. Zombieland was an awesome movie though.

Why are you all saying that 'putting an animal out of its misery' is acceptible? The deer may not have even been injured at all, and I would get away from that guy as quickly as possible.

The fml clearly says it seemed badly injured. And how often do you see deer just laying down in the middle/on the side of the road without being dead or severely hurt?

deer DO NOT just lay on side of road, they don't get tired and take a break.

atiggerx33 6

So if you're dog was in severe pain, with absolutely no hope of survival, you wouldn't put it to sleep? I agree the guy may have done it for the wrong reasons, but when a deer is lying in the middle of the road, can't even stand up, it has no hope. I mean, it should have run at the first sign of a car, and it didn't move. Even if the only injury it had was a broken leg, like horses, this would be a death sentence. Some horses to survive, after putting tens of thousands into vet bills and pure luck. Look at famous racehorses who get broken legs, if the vets can't save an animal that's worth millions, no vet is going to put a deer through that stress with a 99% chance of it just slowly dying. No one is going to give $25,000 to the vet to try to save a deer. The definition of humane is to not hurt an animal needlessly. What he did killed it instantly, it may not have been pretty, but what does that matter. I don't think the deer cared that it's death wasn't clinical, a quick death is a quick death regardless of how it's done. The person who really treated the deer inhumanely was the person who hit it in the first place and then left it to suffer (I suspect this is what happened, because I don't just think a predator would abandon it's kill in the middle of the road). Shooting it would have just scared the animal before it died, deer are scared of people, even in that state. To have to sit outside and aim a shot, getting reasonably close to it to ensure a quick death to the animal, and not a miss, would have been inhumane. To kill it with a knife, needing to get even closer to the animal would be inhumane. To call the police so the animal could wait longer while suffering only to get shot, would be inhumane. To bring it to a vet, which would surely terrify the animal, only for it to be put down, would be inhumane (and dangerous to all humans involved). I feel to be inhumane would be to prolong the animal's suffering any longer, and to cause it even more fear and stress before it died.

Deer just don't behave like that, they will run from pretty much everything besides that they only really lie down to sleep and they prefer sheltered quite places. If a deer is lying in the road and doesn't move when a car approaches it almost certainly can't move which means it won't survive.

pazuzus_intern 10

Thats disgusting, there is absolutely nothing funny or smirk-worthy about killing something even if it is the humane thing to do. I'd definitely keep him away from my pets and out of my life.

That's really really disturbing...:/

well if its hurt badly you have to kill it but you shouldn't enjoy killing it by running it over

maggiefox 25

That's why you don't date hillbillies.

Don't insult the hill billies. A hill billy would have at least made sure it didn't die in vain and made a meal out of it.

rocker_chick23 27

Not ashamed to say I have eaten deer that I found on the road. We live near a forest and have a lot of deer/car collisions. If I see it happen, I call the state troopers who tag the deer for me and I take it home with me.