By Anonymous - 11/09/2015 10:51 - United States - Pleasantville

Today, while blissfully unaware that it was the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, I was making paper airplanes during my free period in school. Next thing I know, I was reported for, "making jokes about the 9/11 attacks." FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 470
You deserved it 8 859

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's only making fun of 9/11 if OP purposefully crashed the paper planes. If they got upset just for him flying them, I'd say they're being a bit over sensitive. 9/11 was a tragedy, but it doesn't make such simple activities suddenly taboo.

My gosh everybody on top is getting down voted. Regardless of what they say OP, that is an exceedingly stupid thing to get in trouble for. It is a paper airplane. People are getting way to sensitive. I understand that 9/11 affected thousands and thousands of people, but it is a freaking paper airplane.

Comments

I think, like anything, this day means more to people who were alive/old enough to remember the event than to people who have only seen it on television/hear about it from older relatives. It sounds like OP was, at least, not old enough to really remember the day or the feelings that accompanied it. The teacher, however, will vividly remember what happened and could have even lost someone.

Thats not a fair assumption to make, not all teachers put the date up, and you can go days at a time without hearing someone say what the date is.

While I do agree this is an FML, how do you live in New York and not know it's the anniversary of 9/11?

Nothing wrong with that, your principle is a *******

Who the **** cares? It was 14 years ago. Sure it's a tragedy and all that blah blah blah, but there have been way worse acts throughout history and I don't see anybody making such a big deal about those anymore. People just need to get the **** over it, unless they enjoy killing their fellow Americans by sending them off to pointless wars and keeping the cycle of violence going.

Um...you're in New York and you don't know when the 9/11 anniversary is? How could you not know? It's been all over the news all over the country for days; surely you'd heard something about it. YDI

it was a question. I wasn't saying you didn't care. I did however say that if you were at school, I'm sure the school or at least teachers would do something for the memory. like maybe a moment of silence or maybe discussions of the same topic. the ''never forget'' was the saying that went and goes around after 9/11. don't know why she got down voted. maybe everyone on this site is too young to actually remember?