Today, on Maury…

By MIA - 15/09/2019 06:03

Today, my husband of four years finally told me he has an eight-year-old son. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 082
You deserved it 174

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well, at least he didn't admit to having a 2-yr-old child that you heretofore knew nothing about. However, not trusting you upfront from day one with the news of him already being a father doesn't bode well though.

Traveling_Book 9

Generally secret children are not ideal for a relationship. Just FYI.

Comments

ViviMage 38

So he wasn't cheating on you then unless you were dating for those 4 years before marriage. But why wait so long? And wouldn't you notice the child support money by now in the budget??

vivavee 2
Traveling_Book 9

Generally secret children are not ideal for a relationship. Just FYI.

bl3ur0z3 17

Major lies like the existence of a human being he created that he's either secretly siphoning money to or not taking care of at all? Yea, that's a bad thing.

Lora Wood 11

One other possibility, he had it with a married woman.

Well, at least he didn't admit to having a 2-yr-old child that you heretofore knew nothing about. However, not trusting you upfront from day one with the news of him already being a father doesn't bode well though.

I see, but the real question is: Are you sure you're not the mother? Hmmmm?

I wonder if he had to tell you now before he got hit with child support.

julfunky 29

For every idiot saying “so what”: HE NEVER TOLD HER HE HAD A CHILD. They are married, been together for years, and he never told her. You’d be ok with your spouse keeping their children a secret from you? That’s messed up.

bl3ur0z3 17

Time to leave. Not because of the son, because of the lie. If he's willing and able to disregard his son and hide his existence, then either his son doesn't matter to him or you don't. Either way, you don't need a man like that fathering your children.

I agree that the deception was wrong, but from one sentence, you don't know for a fact that he disregarded his son. He could have been making secret child support payments and furtive visits. Not likely I know, but my point is don't assume.

the disregard comes in denying the child's existence completely for the entire relationship

ThatOneLonelyAsian 31

plot twist: the child is actually yours

I'm pretty sure she'd know if the child was hers or not because you'd have a bun in your oven for 9 months unless you believe in stork delivery.

Not good, but it could be worse. He could have been your husband of eight years telling you he has a four year old son.

Major_Haywire 7

She doesn’t actually say when he found out. It could have been recent if the mother didn’t tell him and now needs support

ViviMage 38

The mother has until the child turns 18 to report the birth to the father to collect child support payments. And you're right, they may have lost contact and he didn't know himself he fathered a son from an old relationship.