By Disappointed - 04/10/2014 03:08

Today, my teenage daughter asked me to buy her the morning after pill, saying, "It's for my acne." FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 796
You deserved it 5 123

Same thing different taste

Top comments

llamarrama01 21

Maybe it's time to have a certain talk with her.

Comments

June a fe is a form of birth control that actually is for acne...I took that when I was a teenager and it's worked out fine...rarely had a pimple...random rabbit trail... The question is what exactly do you want to deal with on this?

This has been said several times before and it clearly needs to be said again: there is a big difference between birth control pills and the morning after pill. Birth control pills can be used to treat acne. The morning after pill can't and that's the pill OP's daughter was talking about.

Without the "after seeing her boyfriend" part it does seem a little confusing.

At least your daughter felt comfortable enough to come to you with her problem. There's obviously a strong relationship there, and she trusts you for help and guidance. Be proud of that, not every girl ( & boy) have that. I agree, sex ed in schools is vague and basic at best. No, a teenager won't know the difference between love, lust and hormones, but IMO, it's our jobs as parents to guide them through puberty (life in general really), provide them with as much in depth information as you can, no holds barred, so that they can make their own informed decisions. A chat about whether she is sexually active or not does indeed need to happen, and she has to be told of all the lovely strings that come with having sex; STI's, Pap smears, feelings of attachment and rejection, all the things, as adults, we're equipped to deal with, but a teenager would have no clue, hence perhaps, the muddled birth control/morning after pill statement. If she is actually having sexual intercourse, with a male or female, an in depth conversation needs to be had between the two of you. Perhaps, take off your "mum" hat and speak to her woman to (young) woman. I was lucky enough to have a no taboo, open relationship with my mum & I felt like I wasn't being treated like a child, which at the time and at that age, I really appreciated it. I hope that I have the same kind of relationship with my daughter. Good luck OP, you're her mum, trust and believe in yourself and your daughter.

I totally agree with pretty much everything you've just said, I definitely think parents should be more open with their children about sex education and teach them everything they need to know about it. However, I'm a little offended by the "a teenager won't know the difference between love, lust and hormones". I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend since we were 15, we're both now nearly 19 and we have a great relationship. Don't tell me that I don't know what love is.

Thanks. Let me clarify something; when I said a teenager won't know the difference between love, lust and hormones; I meant that until you experience it, distinguishing the three from each other can be difficult. Hence, they don't know the difference, and parents can only explain and describe them so much. And that's where a chat about consequences and emotions attached to decisions and actions based on them, come into play. I'm sorry I offended you, it wasn't my intention. Congrats on you and your partner. You're very lucky and wish you all the best.

Okay, that's very true. I assumed you meant all teenagers, because a lot of people tend to massively generalize when it comes to teenagers and it really annoys me. Thank you :)

I'm a guy, so I may be mistaken, but I think that's the wrong pill

So...you bought it, right? Then took her to the gyno to get smaller daily doses of that sweet Plan B hormone (or a tri-yearly shot)? Better she says she needs it now than asking you for $1000 in one-two months so she can "rejuvenate her ******"

fuggotmuggot 14

It actually can help with your acne.

rocker_chick23 27

There is a difference between the birth control pill and the morning after pill. The morning after pill is a large dose of hormons which prevents a pregnancy and isn't intended for every day use. Birth control pills on the other hand, is intended for every day use and treats acne.

brendejafulable 41

She may very well have meant The Pill in general and mixed them up. That actually does help with acne. If she's younger she may not have realised they were two different things

KatyLarae 13

You and her should probably have "the talk".

A bit late for that, he could save that energy for his next daughter or at this rate the granddaughter he'll have next year LMAO