By Anonymous - 27/11/2012 05:06 - United States - Appleton

Today, my step-mom restarted the computer because she thought she'd downloaded a virus that stopped her from being able to click on anything, erasing my 7-page paper in the process. It turns out it was just the batteries dying in our wireless mouse. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 616
You deserved it 13 421

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm not certain why you never saved it once. It just seems like the obvious thing to do. There is a chance that the file still exists on your hard drive if you want to search for it. Some word processors create auto recoveries and backups which are sometimes hidden files.

Hopefully your document has auto save function. Or use EasyRecovery. Good luck!

Comments

Do you mean she reinstalled it? As in reinstalling the operating sytem? Because then I could understand how you lost your paper. Otherwise, surely you'd save one copy at least or have autosave

OP, this is where usb keys and email come in handy.

You typed seven pages and never saved once? YDI.

"Ctrl" + "S" is a life saver. Should have used it.

coolbrony12 3

I think misunderstood the FML. When her mom restarted the computer it means she deleted all memory trying to get rid of the virus. So it isn't OPs fault at all. They probably did save it, but all memory was erased.

No, what OP means is that her step mom restarted the computer which means turn it off then on again, not RESTORING it :)

ideasrule 13

Files are not saved to memory; they're saved to the hard disk. Computer memory is for storing the data that programs need while executing. It's also volatile, meaning power is needed to maintain its current state. Turning the computer off for more than several seconds means everything in memory is permanently lost.

doodoo10 10

I swear Microsoft saves automatically... it has saved me quite a couple of times...