By Anonymous - 27/11/2012 05:06 - United States - Appleton

Today, my step-mom restarted the computer because she thought she'd downloaded a virus that stopped her from being able to click on anything, erasing my 7-page paper in the process. It turns out it was just the batteries dying in our wireless mouse. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 616
You deserved it 13 421

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm not certain why you never saved it once. It just seems like the obvious thing to do. There is a chance that the file still exists on your hard drive if you want to search for it. Some word processors create auto recoveries and backups which are sometimes hidden files.

Hopefully your document has auto save function. Or use EasyRecovery. Good luck!

Comments

That's why I always save my work every minute or so. It's kinda become OCD for me, but hey , at least I don't lose anything!

Every editor automatically saves your work periodically without your attention. Don't be so stupid as to ignore that. Well, maybe you don't have any choice then...

You deserve it for writing 7 pages without saving.

If her mouse was'nt working she should have checked that first, then see if its a security issue. Also according to security plus, a cert that is required by almost all computer tecnicians , you unplug your lan line or take your computer off the network immediately if you think have virus or expirencing an attack. Then you work on the issue, by running a scan. If you just sit there and run a virus scan then it can still leave an avenue for a hacker to still get in. OP's mom probably isn't computer savvy and did what she thought was right.However, OP should have saved his work multiple times to prevent losing his paper.

You just learned the value of saving as you work my friend! You not only deserve it but you required it. This is a lesson everyone learns one way or another!

FYL but why didn't you save your paper once in the process of writing seven pages?

I can see a scenario happening, though, where OP got up to get a snack or something (especially if he had been working on that entire paper without a break before) and step-mom just got on the computer while he was out of the room. It sounds like something my mom would do.

should have saved it but there is a chance if you open word it will recover it