By cderr - 17/07/2011 22:57 - United States

Today, my sister found out she contracted ringworm and scabies from her best friend's rescued kittens. The entire family now has to be treated to prevent it from spreading. There are 7 people in our house and none of us have health insurance. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 066
You deserved it 15 639

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kickazz16 15

I'd vote her off the island.

YummiGummi 0

but it's all worth it cuz the kittens, right?

Comments

ThisRandomChild 0

Wow, its like Kenny McCormick's house over there

I had scabies once, it's really really horrible :/ it itches and itches and itches..

As others have pointed out already you cannot get scabies from animals. I know, I've had them. My other half tried to blame the scabies on my cats when in fact he'd been cheating, my Dr soon set him straight.

you don't need health insurance to buy the medicine to cure either of those bugs.

Also half of what you do to cure it is wash all your clothes and bedding etc. The other half is put a cream all over your body and sleep in it, then wash it off. It's only (NZ$) $15 for 5 people's ointment on a prescription.

So many people have stated that you cant get scabies from animals - you can in fact get sarcoptic mange from animals. This zoonosis (or animal to human transmissable disease) is often referred to as scabies colloquially even though the word actually refers to another mite caused disease.

Like pets, humans have a particular variety of mites that can cause advanced " Sarcoptic mange". This is totally separate variety from the ones that cause "mange" in dogs and cats; however, if the variety of mange mite that affects dogs and cats gets on a human it can cause a nasty red welt just like a mosquito bite. Several of these bites can be rather troublesome. Since these varieties are not well adapted to humans, they do not produce the extensive tunnels and cause the advanced lesions and scabs over the skin surface. They just burrow in a short distance and die. This causes inflammation and the resulting welt. 'mange' is in fact the irritation caused NOT the mite itself.. Yes you can get a rash from it but you do not become infected with it as the mites die..

The death of the organisms imply that its a self-limiting problem but in some immune compromised individuals infections can occur. Yes it most typically presents just as rashes and wheals but anyone that has experienced this can assure you that its not nothing.

I've had scabies.. It's horrible, I'm aware of that. Human scabies lasts until it is treated, animal scabies ON humans causes problems for maybe a week (unless, as you said, there are other complications) it's like having a really bad reaction to a flea bite. The sister could not infect the rest of the household with scabies from a kitten, they would all have to be in contact with the kitten to be infected. At no point did I say it was 'nothing'

Apologies - it felt as though regarding it as nothing was implied. And agreed, it would be very very difficult indeed for op's sister to spread animal originating sarcoptes infections. Heck even the ringworm would be difficult to spread through the family. I feel that the op was over-reacting to a simple problem.

When I had scabies it cost us £7 ($11) each to treat and the cream could be bought over the counter. OP is TOTALLY making a mountain out of a molehill! Worse case scenario $154 to treat the whole family for BOTH conditions and that's if all 7 of them caught both things. So yes, total overreaction! Ring worm is easily spread in unsanitary conditions but it's so easily avoidable! Kids are a freaking nightmare for spreading it though! Why OP thinks not having insurance is a problem I'm not sure.. I know $100+ is not something everyone can afford but even with insurance you sometimes have to pay for stuff like prescriptions don't you? (IDK NHS here lol)

In sa there are levies on certain prescriptions but not others regardless of insurance. In my experience, ringworm is not that hard to contain in a family - even with kids and pets. It just takes some discipline. But then again, like we said, this whole thing is just mountains outta molehills.

??? Really??? C'mon now! It isn't that expensive for a tube of antifungal cream and scabies lotion. You can buy it over te counter at a pharmacy!

Illyssa_fml 4

Haha That sucks...There are Clinics everywhere that can treat you guys..(I don't have health care either) But, I went to the Hospital a while back for kidney stones and managed to get Medi-cal :) so there are options you can find where you live too! Easier if you're under 21 though... Oh, and Ps. I'd rather not have health care and have options..than having "free" health care and waiting like a year to see a doctor. haha

come to England. we have the national health service