By take a fucking seat, gran - 14/12/2013 22:05 - United States - Fullerton

Today, my psychotic grandma set fire to our Christmas tree because she refuses to let us celebrate what she calls a twisted pagan holiday. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 258
You deserved it 4 027

Same thing different taste

Top comments

To be perfectly honest, the Christmas tree is actually adopted from Germanic pagan traditions and there is no proof that Jesus was born on December 25th. She has a valid point.

What's a family holiday without unstable family members?

Comments

December 25th is actually a pagen gods birthday and nobody knows Jesus Christ's real birthday. its supposedly sometime in summer

hotPinklipstick 24

Actually it's not. December 25th isn't anything special. Pagans celebrate Yule December 21st. Christians adopted many of the traditions and held the date close to Yule to make it an easier transition for Pagans to convert to Christianity.

Hmm, setting fire to pine trees definitely sounds like a feasible start to a pagan ritual... Only joking haha :) Hope none of your other possessions were damaged OP, and no one was hurt. Crazy grandparents always seem to crop up on this site, makes me glad that mine are all lovely and sane!

BrittNic0le 9

Obviously, she wanted to see the tree all lit up.

She actually used the Christmas tree the pagan way. Burning the Yule log. Oh irony.

pwnman 33

I can see the comments closing quickly...

You should inform her that the term pagan comes from the Catholic Church for anything that is not Catholic

RenoTheRhino 30

Have a jolly jolly Christmas! It's the best time of the year!

RenoTheRhino 30

****, my phone autocorrected the first "holly" to "jolly."

Is she a Jehovah's Witness? My family is and I can't celebrate Christmas or even my birthday. No presents for this guy.

honeybeeki 14

You don't have to be a Jehovah's Witness to know derivatives behind Christmas. There's a bunch of people and religions that don't celebrate Christmas.

Well I was just wondering because my friends's grandma is a Jehovah's Witness and his parents and him aren't and she like completely hates every holiday.

There is another FML just like this. Almost word for word.

CyberGothic 16

Saturnalia is one of the pagan holidays celebrated roughly around that time of year, as is Yule. That particular time of year is relatively close to the Winter Solstice, which is considered a "Minor" Sabbat among pagans (such as myself).