By take a fucking seat, gran - 14/12/2013 22:05 - United States - Fullerton

Today, my psychotic grandma set fire to our Christmas tree because she refuses to let us celebrate what she calls a twisted pagan holiday. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 258
You deserved it 4 027

Same thing different taste

Top comments

To be perfectly honest, the Christmas tree is actually adopted from Germanic pagan traditions and there is no proof that Jesus was born on December 25th. She has a valid point.

What's a family holiday without unstable family members?

Comments

Psych hold might be called for for the arson, but good on her for knowing that Christmas was created as an amalgam of midwinter festivals in order to convert pagans, and just took the traditions directly, trees, gifts, fires, conspicuous amounts of lights, the works, from whatever local practices were popular.

she's not lying about it being a pagan holiday though but lighting trees on fire is a bit extreme

Glad the fire didn't spread and burn down everyone's homes :) That sucks though, good luck with your gma buddy

Felly1409 8

She's technically correct. It even says Christmas originated from Pagan traditions in the bible.

Well, she's not wrong... Christmas was originally a really crazy Pagan that lasted four days. And when the Christian church was trying to convert people to Christianity. And people were wondering if they could still celebrate Christmas so the church said sure, changed the name to Christmas, and said that Jesus was born on the 25. And over time it got less extreme and now it is what it is today.

It is a pagan holiday, I don't celebrate Christmas. However she had no reason to set fire to your tree. She could have burned the house down.

Well I wouldn't say it's a twisted pagan holiday, but it is a pagan holiday not a Christian holiday. It formed in the Germanic tribes (for germany) and yes they were pagan

draw a pentagram on the floor in red paint, she'll stop worrying about the tree.