By notthesame - 18/08/2016 04:45 - United States - San Antonio

Today, my overprotective dad bolted all of my windows shut so that I don't turn out like my sister and sneak out or sneak boys in. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 726
You deserved it 1 196

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It obviously sucks to be punished for a sibling's bad choices. But you might also want to point out to your dad that he has created a fire hazard. If your family is renting, that might actually be a serious violation of your lease agreement. And if your family owns the place, he may have just voided your home owner's insurance. (unless he removes the bolts before anyone finds out).

That first part kinda reminds me of Harry Potter...

Comments

This is a major fire safety violation. There's a reason bedrooms have to have windows.

Well let's now just hope your house doesn't catch fire and you need those windows to escape.

Oh yeah and not only that he made sure to get a big dresser that comes with a mirror you put on top so that it could cover the windows. I can't even look through my window.

I believe bedrooms are legally required to have accessible windows. It's a huge fire hazard!

catanita 18

So you are punished in advance and just in case. My father told me that while he was a child (early '50), him and his 2 brothers were punished for what only one of them did, so the other 2 do think twice before doing anything wrong. But kids are kids so doing funny business is kinda their jobs.

It really sucks that your dad is going to such a length. (And I thought mine was over protective) but you need to talk with him about this and explain that him being over protective is hurting your relationship. Yes, you're glad he cares but there's a line between protective and over protective. You should sit and talk with him that his over protectiveness is going to cause serious problems. Trust me, I know the feeling, I just got out of a situation with an over protective father.

It's kinda scary how many people are acting like the father has a point. OP's being treated like a prisoner in her own home. And for things she didn't even do. Being over protective or controlling can be very damaging.

Someone needs a trip to the doctor and some therapy. And it isn't OP. Also, ask him what you are supposed to do if there's a fire, be cooked alive? He clearly hasn't thought these risks through, and he is risking having to live with the guilt that by trying to keep his "Princess" in the tower, he made it so she died in a fire.

Over protective parents create sneaky children. I'm sorry your dad has no trust in you and I'm sure you have tried to prove that you're responsible. It's hard to change people like that. Just try to be honest about everything you can to earn trust or find new ways to get past all of the craziness, thus losing trust. Seems like your dad cares about you or he's a control freak.