By Sid - 10/04/2011 00:58 - United States

Today, my dog was barking at a squirrel in the yard. I opened the door to let him chase the squirrel. I went to look at the dead squirrel and found out it was the neighbor's chihuahua. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 697
You deserved it 41 748

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Chihuahuas don't really look like squirrels. Giant demon rats, on the other hand...

Comments

MyWorldAway 0

I REALLY WISH I SAY YOU ARE A SICK *&&&%* ON THIS SITE. GET SOME HELP

"I opened the door to let him chase the squirrel." I'll admit that I'm not always the brightest person, but any idiot can tell that this means OP did NOT sic his dog on the "squirrel" with the intent of having him kill it. In fact, it suggests that he knew the dog wouldn't actually catch said prey, but chase it around until it escapes. There is absolutely nothing wrong with letting a dog chase a squirrel-- if you think it's "bad training" for a dog to want to, then you need to stop pretending that dogs are capable of humanistic thought. They're intelligent, of course, but they still run on instinct. That instinct tells them to chase squirrels and eat them if they can catch them. The neighbor's chihuahua simply wasn't bred to understand that it's considered prey to larger animals, unfortunately.

Not so! I own a dog of a breed that was originally bred for hunting small prey (rabbits etc.). We have trained him from puppyhood to NOT hunt other animals and while sometimes instinct does go through with him chasing after crows he will remember his training when we call him and stop the chase. Training your dog to do this is actually important and very sensible because if you encourage his hunting instinct without reigning him in then you will lose control over his actions. Depending on how aggressive the dog is and how strong the hunting instinct you risk him attacking other small pets like dogs and cats or livestock like chicken and maybe even small children. You also lose the ability to let him run off leash e.g. in rural areas or in a park and will have to keep him on a short leash every time you leave the house with him because you can't risk him getting lost or hurting someone by chasing something he shouldn't. A responsible dog owner doesn't let it get so far and trains their dog to focus their instincts in other directions and follow the command to stop if necessary. Admittedly, there are some breeds where this is extremely difficult, I have seen many people fail to train a Spanish Galgo for example, especially if they are rescue dogs and spent the first important months in a Spanish pound or worse.

Of course your a sick american that would let their dog kill a squirrel.

ScottVining 21

Why would you let him chase ANY other animal any way??

It's okay, OP. Chihuahuas are evil, soulless creatures and deserve to be destroyed. Or maybe it's their stupid owners. What Chihuahua owners let their little Satan creatures get away with would have large dog owners arrested and their dogs killed.

You purposely let your dog kill a squirrel? You are a terrible person

Why would you let your dog kill an innocent squirrel?? Are you sick minded or something?