By mommabuser - 01/07/2012 15:59

Today, my daughter's hamster pulled the water bottle off the glass, so I decided to super-glue the bottle back on. We came back an hour later to see if it had stuck, only to find both the bottle and rodent glued to the glass. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 512
You deserved it 28 938

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why... WHY would you put something with wet superglue in a cage with a living creature? Especially something essential to its survival? I hope the poor thing is okay - you should know better.

Comments

That's what you get for not having pikachu like I do

I'm looking for a **** to give for 21's comment right now

Pinkpoogle 3

61- hahaha that made me laugh so hard. Good job! :P haha

fogrunner 13

Plus, you made the hamster sniff the glue fumes, then... THANKS, ASSHOLE.

unknown_user5566 26

How did op plan on refilling the water if they super glued it in the cage?

Some water bottles you can refill from the top, my birds water bottle is like that.

First off, rodents have very sensitive respiratory systems, and should NEVER be kept in aquariums. Cages with good airflow are the only acceptable things to keep rodents in. Second, you made the problem much worse by adding glue fumes to the mix, not to mention how stupid it was to glue it in the first place. You absolutely deserve it for buying an animal without knowing anything about how to care for it. It's frightening that you have a child.

I agree with your statement except for the last sentence. Just cause some one doesn't know how to take care of a rodent doesn't necessarily make them a bad parent, they just don't know how to take care of a hamster.

I can see the logic and OP is an incredibly stupid person that could just use a dish instead of a bottle. But I had a hamster (Fang) that lived in an open top 3ft fish tank and he lived to be 6 years old. That's 3 times the average lifespan, don't try and tell me he would've had breathing problems in there.

I also completely agree that op is an incredibly stupid person that should think twice the next time, but we have owned gerbils for years and we used to keep them in aquariums as well (they lived long and healthy) because the gerbil book we bought (it was some years ago, we didn't look stuff up on the internet then ;) said it was alright. We recently got some again but this time the shop owner we got them from told us they shouldn't be kept in aquariums because of the lacking air circulation you mentioned #26 but that doesn't mean cages are the only alterternative. We now have a terrarium with grids at the bottom so a proper air circulation is given (there used to be a link with a pic here but apparently my comment wasn't posted with it in). Chances are op has something similar as well. But #31, just because they lived long (ours did too as mentioned above) doesn't mean it was the best solution. You can smoke all your life and still live up to 95... That doesn't make it good or healthy!

Unfortunately, pet stores often sell starter kits that aren't exactly great for the pet. Many people assume these stores know best. Also, a lot of stores will keep hamsters in glass enclosures so most will think it is ok to do the same. If you go online to research you will often find conflicting advice for any small or exotic pet. Hell, one of the groups I belong to know for huskies is offering conflicting advice over whether or not the furminator is bad for double coated dogs. And back to the small animal thing, a lot of times these are impulse buys as well. It's easy to learn the wrong thing about an animal and think you are doing everything right when in fact you are doing it wrong. Of course, super glue is probably a safe bet it's wrong.

I agree that they shouldn't be kept in aquariums. Not only is the ventilation insufficient but these critters love to climb. Housing them in an aquarium takes away from their quality of life because they're unable to be as active as they would normally be. Alot of pet stores [please shop at a supply only location!] house their rodents in aquariums to cut down on messes and prevent people from being bit through the bars but that doesn't make it okay. They also sell cages that are smaller than my cat's litter box with a hamster's picture on the box but that doesn't make them species appropriate. I have seen my share of nightmares in animal rescue and there's simply no excuse for idiotic decisions like this. Any normal person would have realized that it could be ingested, the fumes would be toxic and the hamster might get stuck to it. OP didn't even remove the poor creature to let the glue dry. That's cruel and neglectful. **** HIS life for having you as a caregiver.

I'm one of the ones who will research the hell out of an animal before bringing it into my home. I've had just about everything as a pet since I was a child. I'm an advocate for researching. I'm just saying I do understand how people can gather misinformation or not think too much on it. Doesn't make it ok, but I do understand. I think in many cases the pet stores are being irresponsible. Remember the reptile promotion petsmart did when rango came out? How many people do you think actually knew a thing about those critters they were taking home. If they needed uv lights or not, heat lamps. Which heating things could injure the pet. Proper nutrition. Having kept and rescued many different types of reptiles, the promotion made me sick. I placed more blame on the company trying to make a fast buck then the parent though. And yes, common sense says if you wouldn't use something in an enclosed area for yourself, then doing it for an animal should be out automatically. That's assuming if you even forgot to think well these things chew, it may chew at the dried glue and get sick. I'm not even addressing the leaving the animal in before it dried because we've already established there was a lack of common sense going on. And no, I do not deal with chains when acquiring a new animal. I have a few places that I trust, including various rescues. And I found that rescues can also be a great place to get good advice on a pet. And for people thinking but it's a hamster, yes there are rescues that deal with them too. If this lil guy survived, it may be a good place for him.

Epikouros 31

Thanks for explaining, #26. I didn't understand why there would be glass in a hamster cage.

-nods- it isn't necessarily an aquarium, might indeed be a properly ventilated terrarium.

26 Nailed it on the head. Not only do aquariums have little to no air exchange or proper ventilation for a mammal to live in, super glue isn't even healthy for humans, what in the flying hell makes you think it's going to be okay for a hamster? I admit, after working in a petstore for two years, that you can't make sure every home is the appropriate one but I just don't see how people can't establish the proper care and environment for a caged animal BEFORE taking one home. This reminds me of the time a lady came in, complaining her son will never be allowed another pet (the little beast was four) after having put his hamster in HER dryer, turning it on, and watched as the hamster exploded. She was more pissed about having to replace the dryer. If you can't dedicated the proper time, effort and resources to an animal, especially a domesticated one, don't waste everyone else's time getting one if you're only going to end up killing it. Unintentional or not.

Good side...good side....oh! At least no one shoved him up their ass! Yay optimism!

PandaYachi 4
EBP1998 3

Hahahahahahaha that made my day.