By duhasiangirl - 15/11/2012 00:48 - Canada - Cambridge

Today, my dad put an onion in my room, telling me spirits won't haunt me and that I won't get sick. He thinks a vegetable will protect me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 307
You deserved it 2 743

Same thing different taste

Top comments

secretsymbiote21 5

onions make them cry. your dad is a smart man.

Well, if you were a spirit, would you like to haunt a smelly room? I think not.

Comments

everyone hates vegetables, you'll never know!

maebelline12 12

I'm sure vegetarians and vegans hate vegetables too, and that's exactly why they choose to eat them.*sarcasm*

whoops didnt think abt that before typing sorry! :p

I once knew a vegetarian who hated vegetables. She called herself a "carbotarian" because all she ate was pasta and bread.

Garlic should work better. A dish filled with vinegar should also help. Stabbing the air with a pure iron knife, also. According to some people who believe in such a thing. I myself would recommend a healty diet and enough sleep.

TweetAnne 13

First time I hear about onions, usually people use garlic. If your dad is really concerned about spirits the best thing to do is to bless the house with Holy water.

maebelline12 12

Or you could sprinkle salt across every threshold and place a coin(penny I think)in every corner of the room. I've never done this before, but hey anything is better than having your room smell like onions!

I see that your dad and I think alike. Our minds are filled with so much intricate useless crap that's holds no applicable use. Hurrrrp

hey if people still use dream catchers then why shouldn't a vegetable keep spirits away?

Never heard of using an onion. lol. Ti lives. If you know what they are. (Not "tea" leaves). If you were from Hawaii, you'd understand.

lol I like how a bunch of people thumbed down my comment, even though they probably have no idea what I'm talking about. It's all good. Thought maybe OP might understand, with her name being "asian" girl.

RandomPerson1227 3

Random fact: Onions, in some way, do help to keep yu healthy by filtering the air. During the Black Plague people placed onions in jars with air holes and then sat them in rooms with sick people. The onion became black in color due to the bacteria it had absorbed and trapped that was seeping through the air. Also back during the colonial times, it was believed this warded or trapped evil spirits. people placed onions in rooms of the sickly and as the onion darkened they believed it to be evil spirits trapped in the onion. So from a certain perspective, ur father is very well educated

yousuck44 11

Why go to history class when you can have this wonderful info for free and it sounds cool. :D

How can onions "filter" air. They have no spaces for air to pass through. Perhaps fine particles in air stick to them. Anyways, the onions probably turned black because of mold.

Well onions are said to absorb bacteria, so he's halfway right...

If onions attracted bacteria, they would be extinct. Think about it. They grow in soil that is loaded with microorganisms.

wubbazugg 5

Spirits, not so much. But onions are known to soak up most existing bacteria, even actively pulling them from infected areas. So he's only half off his rocker.

Kallian_fml 21

It's not just A vegetable, it's THE vegetable.