By Anonymous - 22/05/2009 18:39 - United States

Today, my company filed for bankruptcy, but the reorganize kind where it still functions. There are no funds to give out paychecks any time soon. They won't fire me. If I voluntarily quit, I cannot file for unemployment. I'm now an unpaid intern. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 006
You deserved it 2 982

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Actually, that is illegal (at least in my state). By law they are required to pay you, by the conditions outlined by your employment, for the work you have done for a week by the following Friday, if they can't pay you they have to terminate you.

You best start stealing as much crap as you can then, remember all the money is in Forks, no one wants spoons nowadays.

Comments

thescrutonator 0

#11, I feel like that could end up coming back to bite you in the ass when you tried applying someplace else.

jal_8_jal 0

There's almost certainly legal recourse available to you to sue them for what you're owed. Barring that, I'd say come into work for about half an hour every day so that you're not implicitly "quitting" or anything but you're not actually doing any work, and then spend the rest of the day hunting for other jobs. If you're not getting paid anyway, at least maybe being totally irresponsible will force their hand to fire you so you can collect unemployment and move on with your life.

UMMMMM so don't go into work and spend your time looking for a job maybe? how is this a difficult situation?

wh0regasm 0

that legitly sucks. time to send out that resume

imagypsy 0

#35, It CAN happen. Happened to me about two or three months ago. One day my boss called me in his office, told me he couldn't afford to pay me for the two months or so, plus he still wanted me to be pay for gas in my company vehicle and pay for parts I needed for the job I was doing. It did get quite expensive, but I did end up making it until he was able to pay me. Trust me, it was a nice check when I did get it though. And to everyone saying "Just find a new job" I tried that also, but the fact is, that with the economy the way it is, hardly anybody is hiring, and if they are, you are going up against several other people, because everyone is applying for that same job.

idreamofpeace 0

That's terrible. It should be illegal for your company to do that (and it may be-- I don't know).

vt_mruhlin 0

Um, that sounds illegal? Going ahead and quitting would yield the same pay and give you more time to look for another job. But of course, they might come out of the red before you find one. Just spend all your time looking for a new job instead of doing your actual work. What's the worst they can do? Fire you? Then at least you get unemployment.

TispyOwl 0

This is happening to everybody. You at least can still afford the internet or the gas to get to the library. Not a YDI bit NOT and FML either.

dude this sucks, but technically if your employer gives you conditions that are bad enough you can sue them if they dont give you severence if you leave. the problem is if they're bankrupt then it wont matter if you sue them... tough luck