By Anonymous - 22/05/2009 18:39 - United States

Today, my company filed for bankruptcy, but the reorganize kind where it still functions. There are no funds to give out paychecks any time soon. They won't fire me. If I voluntarily quit, I cannot file for unemployment. I'm now an unpaid intern. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 006
You deserved it 2 982

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Actually, that is illegal (at least in my state). By law they are required to pay you, by the conditions outlined by your employment, for the work you have done for a week by the following Friday, if they can't pay you they have to terminate you.

You best start stealing as much crap as you can then, remember all the money is in Forks, no one wants spoons nowadays.

Comments

okay i just read some of the above comments about if you get fired you do not qualify for unemployment in my province (ontario) you still can qualify for uneployment if you get fired. there is just a penalty of about 4 or 6 weeks i believe.

You know that desktop computer your colleague uses? Might be worth a couple of hundred bucks.

There's a pretty simple solution. Don't show up to work. They'll fire you. Done.

member0987654321 0

ehh well, no sense showing up then.. lol or maybe, you can show up just to piss everyone off for not paying or firing you(:

member0987654321 0

when they ask you a question say "i know nothing" ( : with a blank stupid stare on your face if they say "file these papers" say what is papers? just be annoying as helllllll lmfao that's not a total fml, that's pretty much awesome

There's an easy way around this just stop coming in till they fire you.

that's not true. you can quit & still get unemployment. just speak with your employer first and make sure that they do not have the ability to pay you and see if they have a date in mind that you WOULD be paid (do this prior to quitting). I work for the California state employment development dept so I know the EDD laws very very well. Good luck!

You can stand in line and petition the bankruptcy court as a debtor...file for back wages. They will have to make it part of their payment in the bankruptcy and I'm pretty sure they would fire you at that point! Problem solved either way.

blinkingstarlet 15

as so many other people said this sounds illegal. i dont think its fake tho. alot of companies are filing chapter 11 but cant really afford chapter 11 so they're trying stupid crap like this to save their own hides. sounds like you need to contact HR... but the partial unemployment thing is true in nj at least. idk about any other state.