By Anonymous - 22/05/2009 18:39 - United States

Today, my company filed for bankruptcy, but the reorganize kind where it still functions. There are no funds to give out paychecks any time soon. They won't fire me. If I voluntarily quit, I cannot file for unemployment. I'm now an unpaid intern. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 006
You deserved it 2 982

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Actually, that is illegal (at least in my state). By law they are required to pay you, by the conditions outlined by your employment, for the work you have done for a week by the following Friday, if they can't pay you they have to terminate you.

You best start stealing as much crap as you can then, remember all the money is in Forks, no one wants spoons nowadays.

Comments

That's illegal check out your workers rights! Hope it works out!

To #81. You certainly know your stuff about unemployment. You been to the UE office quite a few times, eh?? Sounds like a FYL.

vag_fml 0

#68--i've been an intern twice, not paid. have you? any company can justify on paper having an unpaid intern. its not difficult--because a certain percentage of what they do a volunteer could do. so "benefit" is subjective. hence, not being required to pay. its not that hard to understand. *sigh* boring.

That sucks. You really should check with your state's unemployment office to see if you can get benefits (or if what they are doing is even legal). Or, hire an attorney. BTW...just found out my company's financial woes are worse than I originally suspected. Managing partner not getting paid, just to cover payroll for the employees. Creditors calling office every day. Have a feeling my own work related "FML" post is coming soon.....

If they won't pay you and won't fire you, just never officially quit and stop showing up. What's the use if you're not getting paid?

jeanniner 0

#86 - The company can claim to the intern that everything is OK, but if they get called out on it by the Department of Labor, they will have to do a lot of paperwork: http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/opinion/FLSANA/2004/2004_05_17_05FLSA_NA_internship.htm If OP is doing the same work unpaid that they did for pay, there is a 0% percent chance that is going to fly, because it fails 3 of the 6 tests, in particular, "The trainees do not displace regular employees."

Read up on leaving voluntarily. Depending on the amount of time you have been there, it is quite likely (assuming you were not there only a few weeks) that even if you leave voluntarily that you will be eligible for unemplyment. Heck - - take a "vacation day" and go down to unemployment to check it out. You can always become such a 'poor' employee that they do fire you as well. Where there is a will there is way. Good luck - these are tough times.

CapriceClassic 0

I agree with #6. It you get another job while you're still working for them, it's called "moonlighting", and they'll have no choice but to fire you. The only bad part about that is you can't collect the unemployment you're seeking because you'll be employed with another company.